autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Tough Water Spots, 3M Fine Cut & Orange Pad Not Working

Hi,
    As the title suggests, I'm having trouble with some etched-in water spots that have been on the car since I purchased it off the lot in March 2009. I've waxed many times since then, but am just now attempting to "restore" the finish.

In prep, I washed, used Pinnacle's cleaning lotion, and clayed with Wolfgang clay and lubricant to a smooth finish.

The car is a black 2008 BMW.

I started with the Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover on an orange LC foam pad with a PC 7424 (speed 5), working as shown in your teaching videos. I made 3 attempts with no effect at all on the water spots. (Swirls are gone.) Next, I tried twice with the 3M 39002 Fine Cut Rubbing Compound with little, if any effect--again using the PC (speed 6) and an orange pad. I have a haze now, but the spots are still there.

(Each attempt is a full, overlapping 4-6 passes on the same 2x2 spot in the middle of the hood, as demonstrated in the videos.)

First, I assume I need to get some yellow pads?

Second, I assume I need to step to a heavier compound, and I'm wondering which you would recommend. I'm thinking the Pinnacle XMT #4 or Meguiar's #105. Feel free to make other recommendations, however.

Third, if I have to wet sand, then I'm going to give up, do what I can with the PC, and move on. Not up for taking sandpaper to my car's finish at this point.

Thanks,
    EG

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tough Water Spots, 3M Fine Cut & Orange Pad Not Working

105 with an orange lc pad should do the trick. Otherwise wetsanding will be necessary.

Where are you located? Maybe somebody on here will be nearby and willing to take a look at it.
    Jon Miles

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jon,
    Thanks for the reply. I'm in Charlotte, NC.

You don't think I need to try the yellow pad? I'm not sure how much the pad differences matter versus the compounds themselves.

Post Thanks / Like

You always want to go from least aggressive and work your way up to find the best combination possible. 105 cuts a little more IME.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tough Water Spots...Update

After receiving my AG package, I moved up to Megs 105 with an orange pad. Still not enough of a change. Went to yellow pad, which helped some. Ultimately ended up with the XMT #4 on a yellow pad. I went over the entire hood at least twice and ended up with a nice haze. The bottoms of the water spots and pits are still there, but they don't catch the light as readily. Not going to use any sandpaper for now.

Question. Is BMW clearcoat known for spotting and pitting? I've seen it referred to as "soft." Six months on the dealer lot before I purchased it really screwed up the paint finish--more deeply than I realized.

I'm taking the XMT #4 haze out with M105 and an orange pad and finishing with the WG finishing glaze on a white pad. I'll do the vertical surfaces--which are in pretty good shape--with the WG twins.

EG