autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Industrial Oil Spill in the MiniVan

Hello,

My father spilled a can of industrial oil in my mom's minivan, and needless to say he's about to get thrown out of the house. He's been driving it with the windows down but the fumes are terrible and it cannot be good to be inhaling. He tried to take it to the local car wash to shampoo it, but it didn't help. I heard that the best kind of steam cleaner is one that heats the water automatically to temperatures over 200 degrees.... Do you think that this would help? The only other step to take is to cut out the rug completely from the car. Please help save my parents' marriage! What can we do?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have not had a lot of experience with this situation.... But if he really spilled the whole thing, I think the carpet is going to need to be replaced. At the very least it's going to have to come up. This is because it has most definatly soaked all the way through. So the smell will probably never go away if it is not pulled up.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Industrial Oil Spill in the MiniVan

Umm I can't say for sure if it'll work but, try spraying a degreaser solution on the carpet. I'd try dawn. It works on the animals right? Then scrub the carpets thoroughly with a brush. Then I'd rent a carpet cleaner that does indeed heat the water up to close to 200* (most of your industrial ones do this). It's just a suggestion though. Others may have more experience with this
    Trent
    PRD

Post Thanks / Like

One option that should work, and we use them here at work is the oil eating enzymes/bugs. They do a good job of breaking down oil into organic substances that can be cleaned and water. They do take a little while to work but it may be the only option that would not require you to remove the carpet. Be warned some of the oil eaters can produce smells of their own but once they die the smell is gone as well.
    2013 Ford F-150 XLT 4X4 Kodiak Brown Metallic
    2004 Chevy Cavalier Burnt Orange Metallic

Post Thanks / Like

First thing you should do is lay down some cat litter
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

When I bought my van the guy before me spilled a bunch of gear oil. I try to steam it real good but didn't work. I think its because it was under one of the captain chairs. My suggestion would be to get an enzyme cleaner literally pour it over the affected area. Also put a degreaser down. Let it sit over night and then use a shop vac to suck the fluid up. Then clean it again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I think this is a good idea- use something to absorb as much as you can first. Then try some degreaser options until you find one that is working- I wouldn't use water / shampoo / steamer without first degreasing, for the simple reason that water will not mix with oil, so I think you'll just spread the spill further.

Once you have a degreaser that is helping, do the seemingly endless cycle of spray - blot, spray - blot, to keep the size of the spill from spreading out too much... Clean as much as you can, and then you may have to peel back the carpet to clean the underside.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Thanks Flash! I think I jumped past the important parts before you spray cleaners. You want to extract as much of the oil as possible via Kitty litter, oil dry, oil absorbent pads, what ever. Even old towels will help.

You then need to realize that an extractor will not be removing the oil, well its obvious why, because oil and water don't mix. I think any water based cleaner will have issues with removing the liquid oil from the spill.

I would start looking at solvent based cleaners. These should start to chemically break down the oil allowing it to be extracted. Be careful if you use a vacuum and any solvent based cleaner that is flammable. They do not play well together! (Ask me how I know!)

Keep in mind the solvent cleaners may damage the carpet and sound deading material underneath. But you are going to trade one evil for another here.

Some other options I have used in the past are Dawn, and GoJo hand cleaner.. the kind with out pumice, and not the orange kind. The original stuff. Also works well on cloths.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShineTimeDetail View Post
    When I bought my van the guy before me spilled a bunch of gear oil. I try to steam it real good but didn't work. I think its because it was under one of the captain chairs. My suggestion would be to get an enzyme cleaner literally pour it over the affected area. Also put a degreaser down. Let it sit over night and then use a shop vac to suck the fluid up. Then clean it again.
    Be careful as some degreasers can kill the enzymes!!

Post Thanks / Like

What is "industrial" oil? Is that hydraulic oil, penetrating oil, what? I'm kind of surprised that more of you haven't suggested pulling the carpet out--I think that's going to be the most straightforward approach--what part of the van is the spill in, and how much got spilled?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast