autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Paint Chipped away!!! :(

I guess a rock (or a couple of them) flew up and hit the side of my 2011 Black Jetta TDI a month ago and here is what it looked like:

My friend came over and helped me out on this chip. After I washed the panels with Dawn (to remove wax and other substance) then I dried it. apply some touchup paint using a toothpick, let it dried then I lightly wet sand down the paint blob with P2000 sandpaper then used Meguiars Ultimate Compound to cut take out the scratches by the wet sanding, then used a Polish (not sure what kind) and now it looks like this:

Am I doing things correctly? We didn't have time to finish the job as my friend came from a Neighboring State to help me. He will come again probably next week or so and I would like advise on what to do.

The touchup pen that I used were from VW Dealer whom looked up my paint code. There's two pens, a black and a clear coat. so far, I only used the Black pen on it. I think we are about done on the chip that's near the Fuel door. But is there anyway to smooth it out so it's undetectable? (I can only see it only when I'm up close now) and when do I apply the clearcoat? (do I level the black paint w/ the rest of the body first then apply a thin layer of clearcoat? but that might appear to be a bump over the surface) The ones on the door still need a couple of black coat of touchup to fill in the chip. and I plan to sand it smooth before applying clearcoat. Is this the way to do it? (sorry I'm a newbie and hope I didn't put up too many pictures) Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!!!

-=SGI=-

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Paint Chipped away!!! :(

Yeah, that's too many pictures. Most people don't do the clear on top for the reasons you stated.

You probably aren't going to get that so you can't see it, but if you're careful you should be able to make it less noticeable. Be aware that you can remove touch-up paint with solvent, like laquer thinner, so if mess up you can wipe it out and start over. You can also do your own Langka thing with some cloth (or I've even used a paper towel) and a flat something, and the laquer thinner.

You might want to use some masking tape adjacent to the chips while you are filling them in.

Oh, I forgot to mention, don't listen to me because I hate doing touch ups because I suck at it.

Post Thanks / Like

I just bought an airbrush and some Dupont auto paint. I plan to post some pics when I am done, assuming it turns out well. We will see...

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

ty, Setec for your laquer thinner / Langka thingy tip (actually, I never seen / heard of neither.. but I just google it and found that it might get the paint flat... and perhaps do more light wet sanding then compound and polish)

Harsh, please let me know how it goes and the procedure. I might spend even go that way if it looks good.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Another Question, will laquer thinner ruin the exiting factory clear coat / paint?

Post Thanks / Like

Use the Dr. Colorchip system. It's the best chip/scratch repair sytem I've ever used.
    John
    Mean people suck

Post Thanks / Like

I am told Dupont 3812 reducer will not harm clear coat, but I belileve it will clean up base color so you just have to be sure you are using it only on a cleared surface, unless you are trying to cleanup some base color that did not go so well. Also, I was told to use the 3812 to prep clean the area before I start spraying color with the air brush. I have a little practicing to do but I will post a full write up once I am done.