autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Big mistake

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Big mistake

I had rock chip on my hood so i tried to wet sand it and polish to remove it and i ended up got gray spot on it.
    Can anybody tell me what i did wrong?

Mike Phillips

Re: Big mistake

Sounds like you removed to much clear coat and have now exposed the basecoat which isn't normally glossy but matte.

Did the spot start out small and the more you work on it grow?

Post Thanks / Like

What color is your car?

The factory paint on newer cars is scary thin and leave little room for error. Many manufactures control the thickness of each layer through positive and negative charging of the panel and paint particles. It's very common to see paint film thicknesses of 0.001" or slightly less...

You may have sanded through the clear coat and exposed the color coat. In this case you can take it to a paint shop and what the hood re-cleared.

Many manufactures use gray primer or base coats prior to the color coat. These coating bond well the the metal surface and provide a perfect surface for the color coat to adhere to. If by some chance you exposed the primer or base coat then the hood will have to be repainted to match the rest of your car..

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Sounds like you removed to much clear coat and have now exposed the basecoat which isn't normally glossy but matte.

Did the spot start out small and the more you work on it grow?

It was small and as i worked on now it is almost pea size

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    What color is your car?

The factory paint on newer cars is scary thin and leave little room for error. Many manufactures control the thickness of each layer through positive and negative charging of the panel and paint particles. It's very common to see paint film thicknesses of 0.001" or slightly less...

You may have sanded through the clear coat and exposed the color coat. In this case you can take it to a paint shop and what the hood re-cleared.

Many manufactures use gray primer or base coats prior to the color coat. These coating bond well the the metal surface and provide a perfect surface for the color coat to adhere to. If by some chance you exposed the primer or base coat then the
    hood will have to be repainted to match the rest of your car..
    My car color is white nissan nv1500 i guess i have to repaint it
    Thats the best option

opie_7afe

if its a pea sized spot call around and see if any body can do a spot repair on that panel, some times they can just mask off the area spray some paint/clear on it and feather it so you cant even tell it was ever there, call up a dealership and ask them if they use a onsite spot repair service and see if they can give you a number, another option is call a air brush artist or custom paint company and just basically tell them you dont want to pay for a repainted panel all over a pea sized spot, i would try those options before getting it repainted... good luck to ya