autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

clay after or during wash?

Hi guys. I need some clarification on something. I have been reading alot and some people say that they wash and dry thier cars prior to claying, others say they wash and while the car is still wet, they clay. Which is the correct or best way to clay. Thanks for your responses.

Oh, I almost forgot. When I polish my car, should I also do the body side molding on the car. It is also painted the same color. I wasnt sure because it is plastic.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: clay after or during wash?

If i clay a car. I will wash it, rinse of the suds, then clay. I think drying it, then claying is a wasted step.

Post Thanks / Like

I like to keep my clay lube pure and free from water so it maintains its lubricity...Therefore I dry first....Im O.C.D....just my opinion

Post Thanks / Like

I wash/ dry/ clay/ wipe dry.

Just habit I suppose + some ocd.

Post Thanks / Like

I wash, rinse, clay, rinse again then dry.
    Jacob

Post Thanks / Like

Water and left-over detergents aren't the best for clay bars, also drying it means you won't have to worry about claying off all the water spots, and I think drying will help to get any remaining soap or debris off. But, if you are in a hurry, I don't see anything terribly wrong with claying while it's wet.

I prefer drying it first because I'm kinda' odd in that I don't clay the whole car at once. I do the car in parts. For instance, I'll wash the whole car, dry it, then clay the roof, fully prep it, and then seal/wax it. Then I move on to the next part. This way, if I get tired, it gets hot, it rains, I get hungry, I get interrupted, or if I don't have the time to do the whole car, at least I have completed and sealed part(s) of the car. I also like to take my time. Also, I think this ensures a completely clean surface since you end up claying immediately before you seal with less time between claying and sealing. But that's just me. I'm older, have a family, work a lot, I hate the sun, etc. so I can't devote an entire day to my car. But this way I can do it in parts. Do a bit when I get home from work, or part in the morning and the rest in the evening.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Julesh View Post
    I prefer drying it first because I'm kinda' odd in that I don't clay the whole car at once. I do the car in parts. For instance, I'll wash the whole car, dry it, then clay the roof, fully prep it, and then seal/wax it. Then I move on to the next part. This way, if I get tired, it gets hot, it rains, I get hungry, I get interrupted, or if I don't have the time to do the whole car, at least I have completed and sealed part(s) of the car. I also like to take my time. Also, I think this ensures a completely clean surface since you end up claying immediately before you seal with less time between claying and sealing. But that's just me. I'm older, have a family, work a lot, I hate the sun, etc. so I can't devote an entire day to my car. But this way I can do it in parts. Do a bit when I get home from work, or part in the morning and the rest in the evening.
    That is a great point...some times I feel the urge to just do the whole thing at once, but I think I should just enjoy it more and take my time, If I'd be doing it for money then that would be a different story.
    Accomplishment and success are often the result of commitment and perseverance rather than skill or talent.

Post Thanks / Like

I have done both and if time permits I like doing it after I have washed and dried the vehicle.
    JJKACZ

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all of the input but I think I am more confused now than before. Lol. Any advantages between one way or another?

Post Thanks / Like

rinse, wash, rinse, wash with rinseless, dont dry the panel. clay with rinseless wash lube

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast