autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Water Spot/Acid Rain

Hey guys new to the site.I have a 2006 Charger Daytona in the GO-MANGO Orange color.I have water spots and what I have been told some acid rain spots.What product do you recomend and orbital buffer.I have tried Meguires compound by hand but can't get it all off.Plus I have factory decals that some compounds and wax will ruin if not careful.Do several car shows with car club but it's embarassing to have those spots.Thanks for any help.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Water Spot/Acid Rain

i recommend the pc7424xp . as far as products. id try #205 see if that will get the spots out its a very light abrasive polish if that done work id step up to like swirlx.. if that dont work u may need a compound. so id pick up a bottle of #105 to be safe. but 205 should do the trick for water spots . hope this helps! oh and id get 5'5 flat foam pads for the pc Lake county

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mentalm View Post
    i recommend the pc7424xp . as far as products. id try #205 see if that will get the spots out its a very light abrasive polish if that done work id step up to like swirlx.. if that dont work u may need a compound. so id pick up a bottle of #105 to be safe. but 205 should do the trick for water spots . hope this helps! oh and id get 5'5 flat foam pads for the pc Lake county
    Thanks for the information!

Post Thanks / Like

I would recommend you try vinegar first, if that does not work a dedicated water spot remover. Then a clay bar. If none of those work, think about using a polish/compound.

Post Thanks / Like

I have tried vinegar with no luck and have used clay bar.Paint has great shine but when you get close you see the spots.One detailer here local wants $250 to repair it.I haven't gave up yet to do it myself.Is there a trick to this without hurting my decals? Maybe tape them off when I start this project?Thanks yakky
    2006 Dodge Charger Daytona #269 of 4000. Too many Mods to list.

Mike Phillips

This is one of the most common problems and thus questions... how to remove water spots.

Years ago I created 2 categories because there were no categories and I found I couldn't help people remove the water spots until "we" both knew what type they were because the removal process is different.

It sounds like you have Type II Water Spots which are etchings or craters in the clear layer of paint. If this is true then the only way to remove them is to abrade the paint till it's uniformly level again.

You'll need a DA Polisher at a minimum and a Flex 3401 or rotary in worst case scenarios.

I have a number of articles on this topic, check them out...

Water Spots

New - 3 - Types of Water Spots - Type I, Type II and Type III

How To Remove Sprinkler Water Spots

How to remove water spots by hand

Tips for removing Type I Water Spots

The last one also covers Vinegar...

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by BIGJAYREE View Post

One detailer here local wants $250 to repair it.

If that quote is just to polish the horizontal surfaces, no vertical panels then that might be a good deal. If that's for the entire car I would be wary they're either charging too little or don't know what they're getting into.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    If that quote is just to polish the horizontal surfaces, no vertical panels then that might be a good deal. If that's for the entire car I would be wary they're either charging too little or don't know what they're getting into.

Lol or he lives in a small town like me and when I mention 250, peoples eyes roll outta their heads and they say bubba can repaint the whole car for 250 lol
    A passion for perfection!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Perfections View Post
    Lol or he lives in a small town like me and when I mention 250, peoples eyes roll outta their heads and they say bubba can repaint the whole car for 250 lol
    Good point.

I just want the OP to be wary of hiring someone to remove the water spots only to then be left with swirls in the paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Good point.

I just want the OP to be wary of hiring someone to remove the water spots only to then be left with swirls in the paint.

True, I try to explain the benefits of having someone that knows what they are doing versus paying less the first time, having some damage their cc, then having to pay someone to fix it only to remove even more cc! The best advice I can recommend is ask the detailer what his approach/product is going to be, and if it sounds like he's going to take the least aggressive method first and move up from there then I'd say go for it. Or spend 250 and do it yourself
    A passion for perfection!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast