autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jewelling - Definition

Barry,

Do you have an opinion on the applicability of jeweling with a device with forced rotation like a flex 3401?
    Doug
    2008 Audi A6 S-line

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Theal View Post

Mike,

No doubt your great at giving props when its due.
    I just think it's the right thing to do. To many people out their copy and paste information they find on forums like this and then post it as their own and that's wrong.

I've talked to Todd numerous times about the topic of having our words lifted from articles we've written, (lifted is a nice word for stealing or plagiarizing), and how frustrating it is. Todd is a very good writer when it comes to crafting and article that will help others to be successful in their garage and that's always been my goal. After years of having my work "borrowed" I made a commitment to myself to not be like others and simply practice giving due credit to where it is due.

I was certain that Todd coined that phrase, but I was wrong.
    No problem... I've learned over the years to be very careful when I write and then post anything to a forum because it seems there's always someone out there trying to find one mistake I make, or one single word they can dissect and try to turn into a wax war.

I also know that it's real easy to get a feel for a person's character by reading their posting history on any forum they frequent, I do this anytime a red flag goes up about a person and I'm always amazed out how some people reveal their true character by the things they post to forum for the whole world to read for as long as the forum exists.

A good friend of mine at Meguiar's always taught me to take the high road when it comes to issues on the forum and it's a lesson that's served me well all these years.

Like I mentioned previously in this thread, either on this forum on or MOL I was interacting in a thread where the word jewelling was being used and I sincerely asked for someone else to write the definition for all the world to use and no one ever took the opportunity to do so.

So now, probably close to two years later, I took a stab at it.

So far... doesn't look like anyone has anything to add to the definition.

Post Thanks / Like

Barry,

Thanx for bringing up Todd's article...great!

If I may, I first heard the term 'jeweling' back in the fifties. When painters were laying down NUMEROUS coats of lacquer and HAND rubbing them out, they (sometimes) would say, "...just jeweling the paint."

Maybe wrong here, but I think it was from Tony Nancy when I first heard it.

This is not meant to take ANYTHING from Todd...just (maybe) a fun fact.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    I

Quote Originally Posted by Flannigan View Post
    Sounds good. Isn't it usually associated with low RPM's too?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Flannigan View Post

Thanks for the feedback

Still working on the article... this post was just to hammer down and get into concrete the definition.

Have a few other articles and word definition to iron out also...

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by BillE View Post

If I may, I first heard the term 'jeweling' back in the fifties. When painters were laying down NUMEROUS coats of lacquer and HAND rubbing them out, they (sometimes) would say, "...just jeweling the paint."

Bill

I've read similar comments like you shared above...

One thing that most of understand is that there's a lot of terms used in the detailing industry with no standardization... this thread is just an attempt to bring some standardization to this word and in the future a few other words...

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the feedback

Still working on the article... this post was just to hammer down and get into concrete the definition.

Have a few other articles and word definition to iron out also...

No problem, just wanted to make sure you saw it.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by dougaross View Post
    Barry,

Do you have an opinion on the applicability of jeweling with a device with forced rotation like a flex 3401?
    Far be it from me to speak for Barry but in my humble opinion, any polisher that works, that is the tool is capable of removing defects by abrading the paint, then the tool can be used to jewel the paint at least to some level. The trick will be to experiment with different factors to dial-in a process that achieves the goal, things like,

Pad selection
    Product selection
    Arm Speed
    Downward pressure
    Speed Setting of the tool

I wrote an article that touches on these types of factors for polishing in general and interestingly enough, in the article I gave due credit where credit was due to person that shared with me "their" idea or analogy.

The Graphic Equalizer Analogy to Polishing Paint

Mike Pennington, the Director of Training for Meguiar's, gave me this analogy a long time ago so I want to give him credit for it because it's a good analogy BUT you have to be old enough to remember Graphic Equalizers.

Graphic Equalizers

The analogy being that you can adjust your pad, product, tool and technique just like you can adjust music using a graphic equalizer and when everything is dialed-in perfect for the paint you're working on you'll get the results you're looking for.

It does mean sometimes playing around a little to find the perfect combination of products and procedures kind of like adjusting a graphic equalizer for a single song so it sounds perfect to your ears.

When everything is right... you'll make beautiful music or in this case you create a show car finish.

Of course in order to experiment it means you need to have more than one product in your arsenal of detailing products.

Usually, a good compound, a couple of polishes with correction ability, a finishing polish and some LSP's, this could include cleaner/waxes and finishing waxes.

Clay, Car Wash, Microfiber Towels and if you work by machine then a variety of buffing pads and if you work by hand then a variety of hand applicator pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dougaross View Post
    Barry,

Forced rotation on the flex will is still considered a random movement. ( Just Forced ) I think Todd said it best here.

"
    If you remember the slew of threads that asked "How to jewel with a DA?"... this is why.

This is because using a soft, non mechanical pad with a DA is really (except in rare occasion) pointless. The oscillating action of a DA requires a pad stiff enough to transfer the orbital action to the paint and a soft pad (unless pressed really hard) simply jiggles on itself like a bowl of Jello. It serves almost no ability to remove material from the paint in an even manner. On most paints you can achieve an equal/slightly better finish with a DA by using a slightly firmer pad that will transfer the orbital action with less pressure. "

The whole point where Todd talks about the soft pad that simply jiggles like jello is the best analogy. I just got off the phone with Todd after about an hour long conversation. The one thing that comes to mind is Final polishing is just that " Final Polishing" Whether you use a DA, Forced Rotation, Or a direct drive Rotory as long as your happy and your client is happy. Whats it matter. Myself have tried to jewel paint with a DA machine and it just doesn't work. I think a Rotory machine is the best option for this style of polishing. When you consider the varibles on what Todd has said, It makes sense. Simply put.

I just think it's the right thing to do. To many people out their copy and paste information they find on forums like this and then post it as their own and that's wrong.

I've talked to Todd numerous times about the topic of having our words lifted from articles we've written, (lifted is a nice word for stealing or plagiarizing), and how frustrating it is. Todd is a very good writer when it comes to crafting and article that will help others to be successful in their garage and that's always been my goal. After years of having my work "borrowed" I made a commitment to myself to not be like others and simply practice giving due credit to where it is due.

No problem... I've learned over the years to be very careful when I write and then post anything to a forum because it seems there's always someone out there trying to find one mistake I make, or one single word they can dissect and try to turn into a wax war.

I also know that it's real easy to get a feel for a person's character by reading their posting history on any forum they frequent, I do this anytime a red flag goes up about a person and I'm always amazed out how some people reveal their true character by the things they post to forum for the whole world to read for as long as the forum exists.

A good friend of mine at Meguiar's always taught me to take the high road when it comes to issues on the forum and it's a lesson that's served me well all these years.

Like I mentioned previously in this thread, either on this forum on or MOL I was interacting in a thread where the word jewelling was being used and I sincerely asked for someone else to write the definition for all the world to use and no one ever took the opportunity to do so.

So now, probably close to two years later, I took a stab at it.

Mike great post there for sure. I think many of us fall victom to the forum debates. I say debates nicely. lol I know I have gotton into some arguments on has who the biggest polisher. I think people who learn from these mistakes are the better men! Often I also think some words come across differnetly then what was meant. I know sometimes I have written advice and people have taken it the wrong way in text. Can we get a voice forum? lol I would be a much better person at getting things across. I've always said Im not an english teacher. lol Im just a " car enhancing engineer" lol

Often I read things that you have written with out posting a reply. One of the biggest threads that you wrote that just made a whole lot of sense was this one.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ness-name.html

Here's some free advice that I use myself and have found it to be immeasurably beneficial at least in my own circumstances.

If you're into detailing as a business or even a serious hobby for the long run, then either brand your name or brand your business name and when you choose a business name, see if you can work your real name into your business name and that way you'll be branding both.

My name is Mike Phillips and on all discussion forums I belong to I use my real name. I don't post anything that I would not want other's to see or read so I don't have anything to hide or keep secret. I've never had my identity stolen, (knock on cyber-wood), and I've never had any problems on any forum related to using my real name.

My main website is called ShowCarGarage.com and without trying much I've also branded it, at least in the online detailing world.

In the Cyberworld, on detailing discussion forums, your forum buddies get to know you by your forum nickname whether it's your real name or not, but in the real world where you make your money, nobody knows who FuzzyBunny77 is and nobody's ever going to know or care who FuzzyBunny77 is, so to some degree, investing your time posting under a cute nickname like FuzzyBunny77 or fill in the blank doesn't ever really help you, especially if you're in this for the long run.

Because you use your real name in the real world, it can only help to use your real name or a portion of it in the online world, not always but it depends upon how you market yourself and your business and discussion forums can be great ways to get new business. The problem is that non- forum people, (a portion of your customer base, maybe even the largest segment of it), may find it difficult to relate to you in the forum world and the last thing you want to do is make it hard for your customer to relate to you and recommend you to their friends.

Here's an example,

Mr. Smith can relate to you as a person in the real world and then later if you somehow introduce him to your online presence he will still know and UNDERSTAND who you on online, or if he found you online first he can easily relate to you and associate a real name with you in the real world.

That doesn't work as well if you go by a forum nickname. It's not to say that you can't brand a nickname as you certainly can, but it will take longer, it will require more work on your part and it will never have as much impact as meeting people in person and having to try to explain who you are via your nickname in the online world.

Your name as a forum name, business name and domain name
    This would also apply if your forum nickname is your business name or if you have worked your real name into your business name. Here's a few examples of people that have worked their real name into their business name,

Nickname - Real Name - Business name + Website name
    Scottwax = Scot Hair = Scottwax.com
    Jimmy Buff-it's Auto Detailing = Jim Schliebner = Jimmybuffit.com
    Nick's Custom Detailing = Nick Chapman = Nickscustomdetailing.com

See how they all tie together seamlessly?

They brand themselves, (their real name), their forum name and their business name.

If you're reading this article and you're in the detailing business for the long run, (I am), then consider the above when choosing a,

• Forum Nickname
    • Business Name
    • Domain Name

If you do good work and you take pride in your work, then brand yourself...

The point being, my name was known or branded by my posts on a discussion forum and I honestly don't think it would have meant much, or had as much value had I been using a forum nickname like FuzzyBunny77 or Speeder88, or fill-in-the-blank.

If you're reading this and you're using a forum nickname that is undecipherable to just about anyone but yourself, AND you would like to change your forum nickname to something that has more value and is more brandable, you can usually send a polite request to most Forum Admins asking for the change and I know at least in my experience, I would always accommodate the request and change their name for them. You don't lose your post count and now all your past posts and future posts will be branded with your new name.

Here's a brand for you and an end to this article...

Just do it!

Not sure if you know this, but I used to be BUFFERBARRY. lol Bufferbarry was quite the character. Here is a great shot of him. lol this is one of my first post.

Here a few years later a couple thousand miles away as Barry Theal. Here this past weekend I was honored to host a color sanding tutorial with 3D Car Care out in California.

A few of cools guys in this pic! I think you may know a few of them.

All this in a few years. Life has been good to me thats for sure. I've been blessed to truely take advantages of hard work and advice of these forums. Now if do some reseach, I had switch all my screen names to Barry Theal after your article on that was on autopia. Mike you have a lot of great advice that Im very thankfull of. NO doubt often I want to go back and just erase some things I have said on Autopia or some of my old threads that bufferbarry had posted. Even know as a mod I can permantly deleate them I won't. Often I go back and look at them and just try to remember where I came from. That in itself is important. Everything I have gotton in this industry came from others. I just capitolized on it. Of course I put in the hard work and determination, but Giving credit when its due is important. Your a walking character of this. I've seen you give credit one to many times. Your a good man. I try to lead by the examples of those who haved paved the way like yourself. I have giving credit to many for my success and always will. I even told a few of them personally how I tried to mimic them and there success. Thats a humbling exsperiance. Anyways enough with the rambling on, One thing for sure is this. Mike your a great man with lots of talent. Thanks for doing what you do. Its well respected!

Barry Theal

Mike Phillips

Mike great post there for sure. I think many of us fall victim to the forum debates. I say debates nicely. LOL I know I have gotten into some arguments on has who the biggest polisher. I think people who learn from these mistakes are the better men! Often I also think some words come across differently then what was meant. I know sometimes I have written advice and people have taken it the wrong way in text.

Can we get a voice forum? LOL
    I love the idea of a voice forum.

I would be a much better person at getting things across. I've always said Im not an English teacher. LOL Im just a " car enhancing engineer" LOL

Often I read things that you have written with out posting a reply. One of the biggest threads that you wrote that just made a whole lot of sense was this one.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ness-name.html
    The branding of your name or your business name is just something that worked for me and I shared because it's my nature to try to help others. There's a story behind the branding story, maybe someday I'll type it up, it has to do with another "Barry"

Not sure if you know this, but I used to be BUFFERBARRY. LOL Bufferbarry was quite the character.
    Ah... I didn't know that, guess I never put it together... (Like you, I stay kind of busy).

Here a few years later a couple thousand miles away as Barry Theal. Here this past weekend I was honored to host a color sanding tutorial with 3D Car Care out in California.

I followed that event and have seen the picture thread. Congratulations to you and everyone involved. Helping others to learn how to do things right the first time is very rewarding and you will have changed peopled lives in a positive way that will last forever.

I have another story related to the above, I should type it up too...

A few of cools guys in this pic! I think you may know a few of them.

I know and respect all of these guys and count them all as friends and people I continually learn from them because they're willing to share what they know.

All this in a few years. Life has been good to me thats for sure. I've been blessed to truly take advantages of hard work and advice of these forums. Now if do some research, I had switch all my screen names to Barry Theal after your article on that was on Autopia. Mike you have a lot of great advice that Im very thankful of. NO doubt often I want to go back and just erase some things I have said on Autopia or some of my old threads that bufferbarry had posted. Even know as a mod I can permanently delete them I won't. Often I go back and look at them and just try to remember where I came from. That in itself is important.
    We all make mistakes, I've made them in the past and I'm going to make even more in the future. The two things I've learned about mistake are,

1. Try to learn from them so you don't repeat them.
    2. Own up to your mistakes, apologize and take you lumps.
    3. Forgive others when they make mistakes towards me.

Everything I have gotten in this industry came from others. I just capitalized on it. Of course I put in the hard work and determination, but Giving credit when its due is important. Your a walking character of this. I've seen you give credit one to many times. Your a good man. I try to lead by the examples of those who have paved the way like yourself. I have giving credit to many for my success and always will. I even told a few of them personally how I tried to mimic them and there success. Thats a humbling experience. Anyways enough with the rambling on, One thing for sure is this. Mike your a great man with lots of talent. Thanks for doing what you do. Its well respected!

Barry Theal
    Thank you for taking the time to type this reply and your kind words and like you, much of what I know was passed down to me by others, giving them credit and passing it on is just the right thing to do.

I actually have to get back on a hot project...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast