autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Question on detail - black paint

Originally posted to the wrong forum - sorry

Bought another 'Vette cleaned her up
    Just bought another Corvette - a black '76 coupe with red interior. I bought the car as a father/son project and it is coming out great. 90% of it was cosmetic.

I used the products and tips for cleaning the interior and it came up great! There is some fading due to the fact it's a red interior, so I will redye the affected pieces as they are in good shape otherwise.

My son and I clay barred it and then used the Mequir's #7 show car glaze. After the first application (having it set overnight) the car came out amazing. We then reglazed and it came out to an even deeper black.

The main question is there are still some small spots (possibly rain spots) that appear in some places. Should I reglaze the car again or use a different product to remove these spots?

FYI - I have not used any wax on the car at this point.

BEFORE PHOTOS

AFTER PHOTOS

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question on detail - black paint

Could be water spots. Can you get pics of them? It would help.
    John
    Mean people suck

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I'll shoot a few pics. I think that's what it is. The car was sitting for over a year outside and hasn't been driven much in the last 10 years.

Just read one of Mike's articles and I'm thinking I may need to use paint cleaner next before I apply any wax.

Post Thanks / Like

Here a few pics: If you click the photos - it will open up my Photobucket account and you can zoom-in, etc.

(The large circle mark in this photo is the relection of the lens from my camera phone, the small circular mark is one of the marks I'm talking about)

Didn't realize who hard it is to take close-up photos of a black car. The spots are on the rear deck of the car behind the back window near the luggage rack. When I washed it, I noticed that water pulls back in that area and you have to lay a rag there to absorb it. It's probably most likely from water sitting there over various rains and drying and then getting soaked again, etc. They didn't have it covered, another reason that the red interior was pretty faded. I have to replace the front carpet as it has turned from red to orange and is pretty worn anyway.

The paint looks really good on most of the car. In this area it looks pretty good, unless you get right up on it and notice the marks, etc.