autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Carbon Fiber hood

I read some other threads and didn't find them helpful to my question.
    The kid next door drives a white Z and just bought a carbon fiber hood. He asked me how he should take care of it. Is my understanding correct that you just wax it like any other part of the car or is the answer more complicated?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Carbon Fiber hood

If it has been clearcoated, then yes your answer is correct. If it is raw carbon fiber, then you have to find out which resin was used and work accordingly.
    John
    Mean people suck

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by SATracker View Post
    I read some other threads and didn't find them helpful to my question.
    The kid next door drives a white Z and just bought a carbon fiber hood. He asked me how he should take care of it. Is my understanding correct that you just wax it like any other part of the car or is the answer more complicated?
    It's likely a polyester resin component. There are two general categories of carbon fiber components, coated and non-coated. I've been told they cannot include a UV inhibitor in polyester resin, for this reason non-coated carbon fiber components will oxidize easily and must be regularly polished and waxed to maintain a clear finish.

More upscale carbon fiber products get a coat or two of clear paint, kind of like your clear coated car. The clear layer of paint sprayed over the polyester resin does include a U.V. inhibitor to reduce oxidation and fading like a modern car clear coat. You will still have swirl and scratch problems just like you do with car paint.

Regardless of which type he has, he can treat it like a clear coat finish and both the polyester resin and the clear painted version react well to automotive polishes, waxes and sealants. Probably coatings too.

What condition is it in right now?

Post Thanks / Like

It has either a normal clear coat a gel clear depending on the manufacture.
    Hello my name is Sean

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by jpegs13 View Post
    If it has been clearcoated, then yes your answer is correct. If it is raw carbon fiber, then you have to find out which resin was used and work accordingly.
    Most that are straight resin are polyester resin, I've been told that some components are made using epoxy resins, but I'm pretty sure you would polish and protect the same way.

I've dealt with a lot of CF components, mostly in severely neglected condition as there's a large tuner population in SoCal and many car owners brought their neglected CF hood to our classes and our Thursday Night Open Garage events.