autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Need some help here mike

i have no clue what im doing wrong with the megs swirl x. ive tried using it 3 times now, with each time not removing all the swirls. im using a PC 7424xp with a LC ccs coarse green pad. im doing exactly what you are doing in the video. put the x on the pad and with the buffer on 3 quickly spread the megs into about a 2x2 area. then turn the buffer up to 6 and use moderate pressure for 3-5 or until its broken down. so broken down is until its "dry" or you cant see it anymore?

also, what pisses me off the most, is as i was making my last attempt at swirl removal, the velcro on the pad came off and seperated from the pad itself. is there anything autogeek can do or am i screwed? ill get a pic tomorrow.

one more thing. i got the dual xenon light in my last order in order to make it easier to find swirls. for some reason im not seeing anything, and i know theyre there becuase i can see them under the sun and even better under those lights that have the sulfer bulbs. any help is greatly appreciated. thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need some help here mike

I don't think you want to dry buff. You are buffing to long.
    Doug
    2008 Audi A6 S-line

Post Thanks / Like
    If swirl x isn't taking out the swirls move onto ultimate compound or scratch x, also that light, don't look directly at it look to the sides of it to see the swirls and have it a couple feet off the surface
    A passion for perfection!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

ok thanks for the info about the light. i guess ill have to try a more aggressive compound using the same technique and see if that works.

EDIT: i should also point out that my car is a metallic silver, so seeing swirls is hard enough, with a bright light is making it harder. id imagine with the light its easier to see on a dark colored car

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, black is never clean.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David@WCD View Post
    ok thanks for the info about the light. i guess ill have to try a more aggressive compound using the same technique and see if that works.

EDIT: i should also point out that my car is a metallic silver, so seeing swirls is hard enough, with a bright light is making it harder. id imagine with the light its easier to see on a dark colored car
    Here is a little tip that works very well fo me,I polish in the dark,I use a halogen light set off to the side with all shop lights turned off being a light colored car it makes it easier to see the swirls that your trying to remove.

Also cut down the size of area your working so it wont "dry out" on you.

Moving onto a more aggressive compound my be the trick, do a test spot and try it. Megs UC works very well.
    Tim
    "I have done so much with so little for so long.
    Now I can do anything with nothing"

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

got pics of the pad that seperated. as you can clearly see, it looks like the glue melted and came off. it also looks like it shrunk. is there anything i can do, or am i just stuck buying another one. i dont think this is supposed to happen. could it also be possible that the pad combined with the pc did not have enough cutting power. i tried 2 different cars. one of which being mine and well taken care of, so the swirls shouldnt have been that bad.

Post Thanks / Like

Your stuck with that pad! What are you working on? A few pics will bring some very helpfull responses.

Heat was the downfall of that pad,maybe trying to do too much at one time? Not sure...try and post more pics of what your trying to do and we can try to help you through it.
    Tim
    "I have done so much with so little for so long.
    Now I can do anything with nothing"

Post Thanks / Like

My opinion is that you are trying to do to much with to little. Switch to Yellow pad and Ultimate compound so you don't have to work it so hard.
    Just my 2 cents

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the quick responses to the noob questions. as far as the yellow pads, ive been reading that the orange pads dont have much more cut than the coarse green pad. will the yellow and UC make that big of a difference? also as far as the pics, the car is metallic silver, both cars that ive done. its really hard to see in the light. any tips othar than using the light a few feet away? i tried that and i still couldnt see anything. id be more than happy to go out now and try to get pics under the lights in the carport, but id much rather use the light seeing as thats what i bought it for. thanks for the tips

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast