autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Clear coat rims

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Clear coat rims

What is the best way to clean/shine/protect clearcoated forged aluminum wheels? I am having huge problems with brake dust, and after cleaning the rims they don't shine like I really want them to.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Clear coat rims

That's a tough question without some more info. Do you have any pics? Did they ever shine like you really want them to? How are you cleaning the brake dust off?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

They are Challenger SRT classic rims, and the Brembo pads really throw a lot of dust. I have been using Griots wheel cleaner, which works well, but I have to clean them almost every time I take the car out of the garage (weekends only). I know they really aren't designed to shine like chrome, but I am trying to put my brother-in-laws Vette to shame.

Post Thanks / Like

If no one's Welcomed you, To Autogeek Online!

Clear coated wheels are for the most part very easy to take care of and maintain. Once you've throughly cleaned them give them some protection with a wheel sealant or wheel wax like Poorboy's World Wheel Sealant.

This is an amazing product that really protects the wheel and reduces brake dust accumulation by about 50% or more. Additional benefits include future washing is done with standard car wash solution "without" all the wheel cleaners you've been accustomed to using.

Poorboy’s Wheel Sealant: Protective sealant that improves & maintains the appearance of wheels. wheel protection, poorboys wheel wax

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Once your wheels are in good condition and properly cleaned and sealed you don't need to use a wheel cleaner every wash. I seal my clear coat rims with Ultima Trim and Tire Guard but in the interest of you not buying another product use any good sealant you have on hand.

Now I suspect the bigger question is are your rims currently polished or swirly and the even bigger question is what condition did the factory get the wheels in BEFORE they clearcoated them... This is the issue I have... The aluminum itself was not properly polished before they clear coated them... I am learning to live with it for now.

If the lack of clarity on your rims is due to swirls in the actual clearcaot itself then you can polish the clearcoat to restore clarity.

Do you have any pictures of the rims?

Oh, Welcome to AG
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CEE DOG View Post
    Now I suspect the bigger question is are your rims currently polished or swirly and the even bigger question is what condition did the factory get the wheels in BEFORE they clearcoated them... This is the issue I have... The aluminum itself was not properly polished before they clear coated them... I am learning to live with it for now.

If the lack of clarity on your rims is due to swirls in the actual clearcaot itself then you can polish the clearcoat to restore clarity.
    That's what I was getting at, they may need to be polished first...I also have GM "high polish" clearcoated wheels that were swirly before they were painted...what a bummer!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Would it help to coat the rims with Klasse AIO after cleaning and polishing? From what I have read on this forum, you can treat the clearcoat like that on the body paint. Or am I mistaken?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rochestercop View Post
    Would it help to coat the rims with Klasse AIO after cleaning and polishing? From what I have read on this forum, you can treat the clearcoat like that on the body paint. Or am I mistaken?
    You are correct!

I'm not sure if it's the same clear as on the body however they are cleared and can be cleaned, polished, and waxed.....

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette