autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Member DetailedByPrecision's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Need some serious help.(Steel Wooled Paint)

Hey AG. My friend somehow used steel wool to clean some "dirt" off his paint and now it left a lot of scratch marks on his black paint. I was wondering if m105 with a green or orange pad will be able to take it off? I do not have any experience wet sanding so that's not an option for me. I will be doing a one-two step detail on his car in about a week and these are the only spots I'm concerned with. I know I can make it less noticable but if possible I want to correct it 90% better than before. Enough talking here are the pics. Thanks AG.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need some serious help.(Steel Wooled Paint)

HOLY $#$#% *#*%_@@)!#$%*)!! BATMAN!!!!!

Wow, that is pretty bad. I would seriously consider getting some FINE grit sand paper, like 2200, and damp sanding those areas first. He has already ruined the paint, so lightly wetsanding before hand can not hurt any worse. Depending on how deep he went, and it looks BAD on those fenders, he might have gone through, or got very close to, going through the clear coat.

A test spot with the 105 would be the way to go. I would not guarantee anything and explain to him that it might not work.
    The "artist" formerly known as M.P. Cobra Fan.

Bonita Detailing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M.P. Cobra Fan View Post
    HOLY $#$#% *#*%_@@)!#$%*)!! BATMAN!!!!!

That's unreal!

Post Thanks / Like

thx for the replies guys. the hood is like okay.... but the fender is like "OMGWTHBBQS"....I told him that I can make it less noticeable but I can't guaranteed it fully corrected and he understood. My polish arsenal are m105, m205, menz 203, menz 106, meg UC, and scratch X.

Post Thanks / Like

Fender might be a candidate for dr. colorchip?
    Doug
    2008 Audi A6 S-line

Post Thanks / Like

It never ceases to amaze me what everyday, what's considered normal people decide to do to their cars.....

Since the damage is already done there's little you can do to make matters worse. Right now "your friend" has almost guaranteed himself some time in the paint booth. What I don't know is if he's breached the clear and is into the color or deeper..

Look him square in the eye and tell him you'll try your best but try as you may, you can't walk on water..

Meguiar's M105 and an Orange pad are your best choice to begin your attack. You may not get all of them out but maybe enough to satisfy the situation at hand. Once you think you've done enough with Meguiar's M105 switch to Meguiar's M205 and a green or white pad.

If things are looking real good you might want to hot the area with Menzerna Super Finish PO106FA and a gray pad.

Without seeing it in person this is all I can suggest..

You might want to rethink the friend thing....

Good Luck...

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

haha thx bobby. I'm not an amateur nor I am a pro with paint correction but I never buffed out anything this severe before so I came on to get some advice from you awesome people.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cg6LeMoN View Post
    haha thx bobby. I'm not an amateur nor I am a pro with paint correction but I never buffed out anything this severe before so I came on to get some advice from you awesome people.
    I hear ya on that one! I have to say that this is the first time I've ever heard of someone using steel wool to wash dirt from the finish of their car or truck..

Wet sanding does take some time and hands on experience to get used to the mechanics of it and without being a smart ass this might be the perfect time for you to start!!

If you dare, get yourself a small pack of 2000 and 3000 grit wet-dry sanding paper. Fold it around a flat flexible rubber sanding block, keep the area wet with water and begin to smooth out the area. Use this on the flat area and see of you can improve on what's already there...

If not, and I understand, begin with the Meguiar's M105 and take it from there.

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Introduce your friend to detailing clay. I didn't appreciate it before b/c my finish was not really contaminated but I helped a buddy do his car this weekend and it was a night and day difference in feel after claying. Even took stuff off his rims that we couldn't budge with apc at full strength.
    I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
    ~Tim

Post Thanks / Like

What was he thinking taking steel wool to paint? lol thats crazy. Make sure you post some after shots when you're done. Good luck!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast