autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Am I crazy?

Post Thanks / Like

Am I crazy?

I use my low mileage 08 BMW M Roadster in BSM as my daily driver. I have a PC 7424, LC Pads, Wolfgang & Menzerna polishes. In certain lights (sun) at the right angle I can sometimes see faint light scratches (for lack of a better word) that somewhat resemble faint swirls on the hood and trunk. The problem is, when I bring the car into the garage to polish it, I can't see the scratches. I have those dual halogen lights you get a Lowe's. So, I figure if I can't see them inside how can I polish them out? Also, are these type of fine imperfections even worth polishing out on a daily driver that gets washed once to twice a week? The car looks pretty good and I have it sealed with Menzerna Power Lock topped by P21S Pure Carnuaba. Is this just a fact of life on a black daily driver? Or, is there some type of way of seeing these imperfections inside? Any opinions from pro retailers or anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Am I crazy?

I think it's pretty much a fact of life.
    Dave

Black is not a color, it's a part time job!

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe one of the swirl finder lights??? Never used one myself though. And as I'm sure you know, upkeep on a black daily driver is a full time job in itself.

Post Thanks / Like

My cousin has the same car and same colour with similiar problems. The only thing I can suggest (I'm sure the pros will have a better suggestion) is when it is outside and you can see them, mask around the area with painters tape. If nothing else, then you can do a light polish inside and at leat you'll know what area to work in. Then take it back outside and see if they're gone. Even if it doesn't work, as long as you didn't go too aggressive, it won't hurt the paint.
    The more people I meet.....the more I like my dog

Post Thanks / Like

Yup, welcome to detailing! haha

Honestly, sunlight is your only real way to see your results. I know they sell that 3m light that claims to be just like sun light....but it's expensive as hell.

I always pull the vehicle into the sun after compounding to see my results. If I have to hit a panel again...then I will.

What you're experiencing is normal. I think a lot of times people get too wrapped up in the directions that come with products. If there's anything I've learned from detailing all these years...is that I take directions with a grain of salt. I always try new products as instructed...but rarely ever stick with the instructions of use. Sometimes you gotta go over panels twice, or use a different pad, add some water, prime with one product and finish with another, etc etc etc.

It's the nature of the beast.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kristopher1129 View Post
    Yup, welcome to detailing! haha

Honestly, sunlight is your only real way to see your results. I know they sell that 3m light that claims to be just like sun light....but it's expensive as hell.

I always pull the vehicle into the sun after compounding to see my results. If I have to hit a panel again...then I will.

What you're experiencing is normal. I think a lot of times people get too wrapped up in the directions that come with products. If there's anything I've learned from detailing all these years...is that I take directions with a grain of salt. I always try new products as instructed...but rarely ever stick with the instructions of use. Sometimes you gotta go over panels twice, or use a different pad, add some water, prime with one product and finish with another, etc etc etc.

It's the nature of the beast.
    What are directions?????? LOL
    The "artist" formerly known as M.P. Cobra Fan.

Bonita Detailing.