autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need new M105 alternative

I vote for Meg's Ultimate Compound
    I really like it ...........you should at least try it. Its inexpensive and available at almost all auto stores.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    I have used powergloss only a few times and I don't RECALL much dusting. My mind is possibly going.... Thanks for the correction! Hyper compound spray is indeed super user friendly!
    I haven't used it much either, but is certainly is going to be more dusty than one of the newer solutions. PG may not be quite an "old school" compound, but it's not "new school" either.

Quote Originally Posted by bmwgeek View Post
    Is menzerna power gloss a diminishing polish?
    Yes, it's a diminishing abrasive.

Quote Originally Posted by 331TwistedWedge View Post
    i read on another website to cut the 105 with OP, i dont know what (OP) is??? ... 70/30 cut to keep it working longer without gumming up ... the next time i use it, im going to try cutting it with the 205 ...
    They are talking about cutting it with Optimum Polish (non-spray). When the original Optimum Polishes (Polish, Compound, and Hyper Compound) came out around 2005 they had very little cut (relative to their name), and were really high on lubricants making them highly pad-dependent on cutting action. Menz PG was the popular compound at the time because it cut almost as well as an old school "rocks in a bottle" compound but finished down better; however it dusted a lot and could have a short work time. People found that mixing PG and OP extended the work time of PG and reduced the dusting. I keep recommending that people try this with 105, but everyone ignores me, I just figured that OP has changed so much over the years that it doesn't work that way anymore (I still have the original version).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    I have used powergloss only a few times and I don't RECALL much dusting. My mind is possibly going.... Thanks for the correction! Hyper compound spray is indeed super user friendly!
    Jim,

I agree here. I use Menzerna Power Gloss and dusting isn't any worse them most others I've tried. For me, I've found it to have a longer working time and wipes off easily....

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    I use Menzerna Power Gloss and dusting isn't any worse them most others I've tried. For me, I've found it to have a longer working time and wipes off easily....
    Well, I haven't used it that much, and perhaps it's changed a little over the years, I bought my bottle in 2006. I just remember at that time it was the popular compound for the hot shots at the forum I was on, and that was their complaint was dusting, probably with a wool pad/rotary.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Well, I haven't used it that much, and perhaps it's changed a little over the years, I bought my bottle in 2006. I just remember at that time it was the popular compound for the hot shots at the forum I was on, and that was their complaint was dusting, probably with a wool pad/rotary.
    Ahhhh, you may have touched on something. I use Power Gloss with either a yellow or orange foam pad.... I've never tried the wool pad approach with this..

Great Point!!

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Nah..I just feel kinda stupid bringing up the dusting when mostly I have used PG for compounding license-plate covers that have hazed, after wet sanding...and I didn't pay that much attention. As I said, I remember guys at that other forum who did a lot of compounding with PG/wool mixing OP to cut down the dust.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

OPT Compound II liquid was just reformulated 2 months ago to match OHC spray properties...another option if you prefer liquid.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mack4000 View Post
    OPT Compound II liquid was just reformulated 2 months ago to match OHC spray properties.
    What does that mean?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    What does that mean?
    More cut and better finish...like OHC.

From Chris Thomas...

Compound II has been updated to match it's sprayable twin. For those who prefer a paste to the sprays, you will be pleased.
    Last edited by mack4000; 05-08-2011 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Added quote

Post Thanks / Like

For over 2 years I bought all sorts of compounds to avoid getting through the learning curve of M-105 (frustrating to say the least) but now that I have accepted that 105 is a dusting, quick working compound that finishes nicer than most intermediate polishes I have yet to use a compound that doesn't make me want to run back to 105.

I want to try 3M's water based compounds and G-Techniq next.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast