autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Proper use of Megs #205

Is this polish meant to be used by section only where there are light scratches and swirls, and plus as a finishing polish after using a Megs #105 (or other similar polish)?

Or can I use this on the entire car as an overall finishing polish to bring out the car's shine before waxing it?

Also, what would be the ideal Lake Country buffing pad to use with this? CCS White?
    '10 Subaru Forester

"Laughter is an instant vacation" - Milton Berle

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Proper use of Megs #205

You use it like M105 except it is less aggressive.

You use it after M105 to take out the haze or you can use it if you car just needs a touch up.

Depending on the scratches you could use it with orange or white.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by maximus20895 View Post
    You use it like M105 except it is less aggressive.

You use it after M105 to take out the haze or you can use it if you car just needs a touch up.

Depending on the scratches you could use it with orange or white.
    Oh so that means it's only sectional then where correction is needed. I thought I needed to polish the entire car before moving on to the next step. If that's the case, what would be next step? Waxing?
    '10 Subaru Forester

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rjgervacio View Post
    Oh so that means it's only sectional then where correction is needed. I thought I needed to polish the entire car before moving on to the next step. If that's the case, what would be next step? Waxing?
    There are no hard fast rules to this and many times I'll correct each panel separately.

Meguiar's M105 - Compound
    Meguiar's M205 - Polish

I always do a test spot starting off with a less aggressive to determine whether or not I need something with a bit more muscle to remove the defects adequately.

After polishing you can apply a sealant and stop here or like many apply a coat of wax on top of the sealant to give it added depth and protection.

Basic steps in order

• Wash
    • Clay
    • Compound
    • Polish
    • Sealant
    • Wax

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Is this polish meant to be used by section only where there are light scratches and swirls, and plus as a finishing polish after using a Megs #105 (or other similar polish)?

Or can I use this on the entire car as an overall finishing polish to bring out the car's shine before waxing it?

Also, what would be the ideal Lake Country buffing pad to use with this? CCS White?
    M205 can be used to remove light swirls and add some gloss back to the paint. Depending on the car your working on it may have great correcting abilities or it may not do much other than add some gloss back to the paint.

When I polish out a car I will start with my test spot as BobbyG mentioned. Do all of my steps there first (say M105, M205, a finer polish if needed, then wash/dry, then wax/sealant). After I am happy with my test spot I will then tackle the rest of the car doing one step at a time. So, I'd hit the whole car with M105. Then hit the whole car with M205, and so on. You have to always work in small roughly 2x2 sections to ensure you are getting good results. If you work too big of an area when you are correcting your not going to get the results your looking for and it doesn't allow the polish and machine your using to really do the job well. Always work small if you can. In the end it will save you time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SeaJay's View Post
    M205 can be used to remove light swirls and add some gloss back to the paint. Depending on the car your working on it may have great correcting abilities or it may not do much other than add some gloss back to the paint.

When I polish out a car I will start with my test spot as BobbyG mentioned. Do all of my steps there first (say M105, M205, a finer polish if needed, then wash/dry, then wax/sealant). After I am happy with my test spot I will then tackle the rest of the car doing one step at a time. So, I'd hit the whole car with M105. Then hit the whole car with M205, and so on. You have to always work in small roughly 2x2 sections to ensure you are getting good results. If you work too big of an area when you are correcting your not going to get the results your looking for and it doesn't allow the polish and machine your using to really do the job well. Always work small if you can. In the end it will save you time.
    This is great and correct info, but want to add that after you have polished your panel using the method above, I always like to do a (for lack of a better term) panel pass. This is where you would polish the whole panel (if it's a fender or half of he hood) in one section. This blends all of the polishing you've just done together.

So say your fender is 4x4. Your first polishing step would be to break it into 2 2x2 sections, then after that, make a couple passes on the entire fender so that now you are doing the 4x4 section. His will help you get complete and even coverage.

The m205 has beautiful working time so it will allow you to do this. Use light pressure and set your PC to about 3.5 or your rotary on it's lowest setting with slow arm speed. Generally speaking.

Post Thanks / Like

I get the idea of test spotting and working in small areas at a time, say 2x2. In fact, that's actually how I'm going to be working on my car.

The part which I wish to clarify was, would it be necessary or better yet safe to use Megs #205 on the rest of the car even if it doesn't have any defects on it but just to achieve a glossy look prior to waxing?
    '10 Subaru Forester

Post Thanks / Like

I get the idea of test spotting and working in small areas at a time, say 2x2. In fact, that's actually how I'm going to be working on my car.

The part which I wish to clarify was, would it be necessary or better yet safe to use Megs #205 on the rest of the car even if it doesn't have any defects on it but just to achieve a glossy look prior to waxing?
    You can safely do it, but realize that M205 does have some cutting ability. But if you use say a White LC pad and M205 on the rest of the car you should get great results.

You could also look into maybe a finer polish like Menzerna PO85rd for something like this. It's a very fine polish.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SeaJay's View Post
    You can safely do it, but realize that M205 does have some cutting ability. But if you use say a White LC pad and M205 on the rest of the car you should get great results.

You could also look into maybe a finer polish like Menzerna PO85rd for something like this. It's a very fine polish.

Yes! Now this is the kind of opinion I was hoping to see. Thanks SeaJay!

I'm aware of its cutting ability (I think it scores around 4 based on its packaging). I don't have the Menzerna P085rd but I have the Megs #7 Showcar Glaze. I also have a Grey and Blue LC pads. How do you suggest working with them in terms of pairing it with the polishes that I have. Probably something like:
    • White - Megs #205
    • Grey - Megs #205 / Megs #7
    • Blue - Collinite 845
    '10 Subaru Forester

Post Thanks / Like

Yes! Now this is the kind of opinion I was hoping to see. Thanks SeaJay!

I'm aware of its cutting ability (I think it scores around 4 based on its packaging). I don't have the Menzerna P085rd but I have the Megs #7 Showcar Glaze. I also have a Grey and Blue LC pads. How do you suggest working with them in terms of pairing it with the polishes that I have. Probably something like:
    • White - Megs #205
    • Grey - Megs #205 / Megs #7
    • Blue - Collinite 845
    I honestly would probably go White - M205 I've had good results with this combo, then go to your Blue and Collinite. This will depend on how the paint reacts though. M205 can leave some tick marks from your DA if the paint is really soft. If you end up with a marred finish or your not happy, try following it up with your grey pad and M205. Might help.

If the car is is good condition then you don't need to use a glaze. A glaze will basically help hide the minor swirls that are in the paint but glaze doesn't tend to last very long. I personally don't like using glaze much, but there is a place for it in the detailing world.

Here is a compound chart to give you the comparison of where the polishes you have fall.

Autogeek Swirl Removers & Compounds Comparison Chart

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast