autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Interior roof water stains

I've tried to do some searching but to no avail (maybe I'm just not searching for the magic words). My boss has a BMW that has water stains on the interior roof (tan) and asked me to get it out. I do not have an extractor sadly (hopefully some day) but I'm not a full time detailer. I've searched the internet but I haven't found a reputable source so I was wondering if there are any tips or if there is a preferred method to remove the stains without a carpet extractor.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Interior roof water stains

Quote Originally Posted by TS656577 View Post
    I've tried to do some searching but to no avail (maybe I'm just not searching for the magic words). My boss has a BMW that has water stains on the interior roof (tan) and asked me to get it out. I do not have an extractor sadly (hopefully some day) but I'm not a full time detailer. I've searched the internet but I haven't found a reputable source so I was wondering if there are any tips or if there is a preferred method to remove the stains without a carpet extractor.
    I don't have an answer for you. What year/model is the BMW? Many of the 80's & 90's models have extremely fragile backing on the headliner. I don't dare try to clean mine. Not sure about the later generations.

Post Thanks / Like

interior roof? the headliner?

they say to clean a headliner you should mist your solution (apc, carpet spot remover, whatever) on it lightly, and lightly wipe the spot with a microfiber.

theres adhesive that holds the headliner up, if you saturate the headliner too much it could "unstick" and you have a problem. using a carpet extractor on the headliner is very much NOT recommended, from what i know.

hope that helps

Post Thanks / Like

its an 05 bmw. And I thought an extractor seemed a bit much (hence why i didn't trust outside sources). Thanks for the help

Post Thanks / Like

I used to get a sponge wet with APC+ and clean headliners, but I had one come loose on me and it was a mess. I am VERY careful not to get them too wet now and clean with light pressure.

Post Thanks / Like

First and foremost, DON'T USE AN EXTRACTOR ON THE HEADLINER! That's just a disaster waiting to happen.

You may want to try a light spraying of a light upholstery cleaner or formex. Do not saturate the area and work in small areas at at time. You do not want to scrub hard. Without any other equipment, this may be your best option.

Also, has the owner isolated and repaired what caused the water stains in the first place? If he/she hasn't taken the proper steps to repair the source of the water, all your efforts will be waisted.

Post Thanks / Like

Yea. He just got it back from the stealership. and as far as an extractor goes, it seemed to be an incorrect way to go which is why i posted this question. Thanks for the input everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

I removed coke from a headliner and the fragile sunshade/moon roof covers that come stock in the ford edge suv.I used my vx 5000 and it made very quick and easy work of it.Just gently blotted with folded micro towel.

Maybe there is someone on the forum close to you with one willing to help out?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TL type S View Post
    I removed coke from a headliner and the fragile sunshade/moon roof covers that come stock in the ford edge suv.I used my vx 5000 and it made very quick and easy work of it.Just gently blotted with folded micro towel.

Maybe there is someone on the forum close to you with one willing to help out?
    The VX5000 is definitely my tool of choice for headliners. The problem is that the OP doesn't have one and is limited to using chemicals, brushes, and so on.

But as you mentioned, maybe there is someone near him that can give him a hand with a steamer.