autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Polishing Painted Plastic/Vinyl vs Metal?

Somewhere I recall a video talking about the differences in machine polishing plastic/vinyl car parts vs metal parts - i.e., car bumpers vs hood, roof, and side panels. Any differences or treat them the same? Or do you do plastic/vinyl by hand only?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Polishing Painted Plastic/Vinyl vs Metal?

All I can tell you is what I did. I did the painted plastic bumbers of my car, a friend's and my nephew's the same as the metal body panels. No reall diff in feel. My nephew's car is a Saturn Ion with the plastic body panels. Those polished out extremely easy - WG TSR and an orange pad was all that was needed. We did do the front clip with white/FG but saw no significant improvement. That may be the plastic, but more likely is the paint. I did the vinyl door pillar trim on my RAV4 with spent WG FG (waited until the polish broke down on a metal panel and then shifted to the vinyl). That worked perfect.

Post Thanks / Like

You can buy a PTG for metal fairly reasonably. The same can't be said for working with plastic. So, having said that, you're working in the dark doing heavy correction. The HUGE danger with plastic is that it does not dissapate heat as quickly as metal does and therefore can get very hot, very quickly. It is paramount to frequently check the surface. Keep a spray bottle with cold water next to you. The other thing is use your rotary at as low rpm as you can and use more pressure to correct than speed. Wool is another very valuable tool for chasing deep imperfections in plastic. I can link you a thread if you want with more info based on a car I did with bad marks in the plastic.

Post Thanks / Like

My Mustang has a plastic hood, trunk and front & rear bumpers.
    And I finish them exactly as I do the metal sides and roof.
    I used Menzerna products in three stages and got a perfect (actually near perfect) finish.

Post Thanks / Like

As Richy said since plastics don't dissipate heat as well you just have to be careful that the surface isn't getting too hot. Once the plastic gets hot the paint can come right off. I had this happen on my first real correction. Wasn't a big deal since the bumper on this car was a mess anyway. However, it made me proceed with more caution when I did my next car. Lower RPMS and more pressure is def the way to go. I actually prefer to use my DA on plastic bumpers if I think there is a risk that I may cause damage with the rotary. Just ensures there is less risk of causing damage.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. Now if the weather cooperates, I'll be doing some polishing!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SeaJay's View Post
    As Richy said since plastics don't dissipate heat as well you just have to be careful that the surface isn't getting too hot. Once the plastic gets hot the paint can come right off. I had this happen on my first real correction. Wasn't a big deal since the bumper on this car was a mess anyway. However, it made me proceed with more caution when I did my next car. Lower RPMS and more pressure is def the way to go. I actually prefer to use my DA on plastic bumpers if I think there is a risk that I may cause damage with the rotary. Just ensures there is less risk of causing damage.
    You know, it's posts like this that make me real happy I went with a DA.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyMetal View Post
    You know, it's posts like this that make me real happy I went with a DA.
    Actually, no. You would need to use a lot of pressure with the DA and they don't respond well to that. What you need is a rotary with a truckload of torque that you can use at low, low rpm. HERE is a link where I explain/show what works on badly scratched plastic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by richy View Post
    Actually, no. You would need to use a lot of pressure with the DA and they don't respond well to that. What you need is a rotary with a truckload of torque that you can use at low, low rpm. HERE is a link where I explain/show what works on badly scratched plastic.
    You are talking about HEAVILY SCRATCHED plastic and the OP and I were talking about just polishing painted plastic bumpers and such VERSUS metal panels during a typical detail. There was no mention of heavy scratches by either the OP or I.