autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Meg's D151 vs Meg's #105 vs XMT #4

What's the most effective product out of the 3 for paint correction and removing scratches along with the use of a GG 6" DA?
    '10 Subaru Forester

"Laughter is an instant vacation" - Milton Berle

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Meg's D151 vs Meg's #105 vs XMT #4

I would say M105 over D151 no doubt, but I have not used XMT #4.

Post Thanks / Like

All three will work but it depends on how severe the surface defects are.

In terms of aggressiveness

1. Meguiar's M105
    2. Pinnacle's XMT #4
    3. Meguiar's D151

I would consider both Meguiar's M104 and Pinnacle's XMT #4 heavy compounds. Meguiar's D151 I would consider at the upper end of a medium polish range..

Always start with a less abrasive polish, and if necessary resort to something more aggressive.

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    All three will work but it depends on how severe the surface defects are.

In terms of aggressiveness

1. Meguiar's M105
    2. Pinnacle's XMT #4
    3. Meguiar's D151
    I would consider both Meguiar's M104 and Pinnacle's XMT #4 heavy compounds. Meguiar's D151 I would consider at the upper end of a medium polish range..

Always start with a less abrasive polish, and if necessary resort to something more aggressive.
    Can you recommend 3 polishing products (heavy, medium, light) that is not too expensive but have excellent results? So far, Im only familiar with the heavy ones, as mentioned above.
    '10 Subaru Forester

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rjgervacio View Post
    Can you recommend 3 polishing products (heavy, medium, light) that is not too expensive but have excellent results? So far, Im only familiar with the heavy ones, as mentioned above.
    I'd be glad too!

Heavy Duty Compounds

Menzerna Power Gloss
    Meguiar's M105

Medium Polish

Menzerna PO203S
    Meguiar's M205

Light Polish

Menzerna PO106FA
    Menzerna PO85RD

A very nice bundle of products that work very well covering all your reqirements.

Menzerna Power Gloss, Power Finish & Super Finish Bundle, Menzerna Polishes Combo, Nano Polish, Power Finish Polish, Power Gloss Compound

Pinnacle's XMT line is about the most economical line and is widely available. Starting with their #4 the most aggressive then line progressively becomes finer as the numbers decrease.

Pinnacle XMT #4
    Pinnacle XMT #3
    Pinnacle XMT #2
    Pinnacle XMT #1

XMT Series by Pinnacle; Xtreme Machine Technology polishes & glazes for dual action orbital & rotary polishers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    I'd be glad too!

Heavy Duty Compounds

Menzerna Power Gloss
    Meguiar's M105

Medium Polish

Menzerna PO203S
    Meguiar's M205

Light Polish

Menzerna PO106FA
    Menzerna PO85RD

A very nice bundle of products that work very well covering all your reqirements.

Menzerna Power Gloss, Power Finish & Super Finish Bundle, Menzerna Polishes Combo, Nano Polish, Power Finish Polish, Power Gloss Compound

Pinnacle's XMT line is about the most economical line and is widely available. Starting with their #4 the most aggressive then line progressively becomes finer as the numbers decrease.

Pinnacle XMT #4
    Pinnacle XMT #3
    Pinnacle XMT #2
    Pinnacle XMT #1

XMT Series by Pinnacle; Xtreme Machine Technology polishes & glazes for dual action orbital & rotary polishers.

Thanks!
    '10 Subaru Forester

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Bobby,

Where would you rank Wolfgang TSR and FG. I realize TSR is medium and FG light, and FG is similar to 106FA, so how do you rank against each in those lists? And what would be your choice in case I want something a BIT more aggressive than TSR? Or would you just switch to like a yellow pad and TSR?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyMetal View Post
    Hey Bobby,

Where would you rank Wolfgang TSR and FG. I realize TSR is medium and FG light, and FG is similar to 106FA, so how do you rank against each in those lists? And what would be your choice in case I want something a BIT more aggressive than TSR? Or would you just switch to like a yellow pad and TSR?
    Hey Craig,

The aggressiveness of a polish or compound is largely determined by the sanding grit or scratch removal but varying the pads foam density adds an additional component.

Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover will remove sanding grits up to 2000. I would use this initially with an Orange pad initially then repeat the process but switch to a White pad for a less aggressive polish.

Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer
    is a great way to bring the finish up to the next level before applying a sealant such as Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant or a wax. Use this with a white or gray pad here.

Wolfgang Finishing Glaze will remove sanding grits up to 2500 so it is a finer polish, something more or less comparable to Menzerna PO106FA

For something more aggressive than Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover I'd take a look at Menzerna Super Intensive Polish PO83 - Orange and White pads here.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Bobby. SIP was a guess on my part but I wanted to be sure. Haven't needed it yet, but just in case. I did try TSR with both white and orange pads so I have a pretty good feel for that. TSR seemed to be VERY mild with a white pad - not much more than FG with a white. FG with a grey pad has almost no cut from what I could tell.

Now that I have the feel, I'll be testing on the wife's black Lexus with TSR/orange followed by FG/white, then PPE/grey and then PL/red. The swirls on the Lexus are a little lighter than on my RAV, and I'll test, but I don't think TSR/white will do the trick. Despite what some say, I think Toyota paint is pretty hard compared to Saturn and Hyundai.

Post Thanks / Like

If using a DA polisher...I think you should consider the new Megs 5.5" Microfiber DA Correction system in terms of removing heavy swirls with the D300 Compound and associated MF cutting pad...and then consider a Menzerna product or Wolfgang Finishing Glaze to finish out with a 5.5" flat foam pad.

Now you want a killer look...one that will snap heads..?..Finish out with Wolfgang Finishing Glaze or Menzerna PO85RD, then apply Chemical Guy's EZ Creme Glaze, and top with Blackfire Wet Diamond Sealant, and maintain that all with CarPro RELOAD spray every once in a while to keep the surface like glass.

You're car will get attention like you will not believe. The one thing about detailing is that its fun to experiment. I love Collinite 915 wax applied before winter, but during the non-winter months, I like to play around with different combos and the combo I mentioned is a absolute show stopper. Not sure why, but it works for me.
    In my day we didn't have the Internet, iPods,iPads, or smart phones....but we had some really bad-azz cars.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast