autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Fresh paint: are detail sprays, waterless washes ok to use?

Ok to start off I have worked in the body shop for a couple of years and have been around it for a while. I am familiar with waiting 30-90 days (depending on paint brand) before waxing or sealing to allow the paint to fully cure.

My car is about to go under the gun to have the hood, roof, and spoiler painted all of wich for different reasons. I plan on using finishing glazes on those parts of the car until the cure time is up but I was not sure if it is ok to use any kind of detail spray or waterless wash sprays. I usually use detail sprays at car shows or when I wash my car and since it is getting to be car show season soon I was just curious.

What is the best spray to use to wipe of lite dust etc. that would be "body shop safe"?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fresh paint: are detail sprays, waterless washes ok to use?

Quote Originally Posted by CoxTA View Post
    Ok to start off I have worked in the body shop for a couple of years and have been around it for a while. I am familiar with waiting 30-90 days (depending on paint brand) before waxing or sealing to allow the paint to fully cure.

My car is about to go under the gun to have the hood, roof, and spoiler painted all of wich for different reasons. I plan on using finishing glazes on those parts of the car until the cure time is up but I was not sure if it is ok to use any kind of detail spray or waterless wash sprays. I usually use detail sprays at car shows or when I wash my car and since it is getting to be car show season soon I was just curious.

What is the best spray to use to wipe of lite dust etc. that would be "body shop safe"?
    I detail for a local body shop when they get slammed and they do not like me to use instant detailers near the spray booth if I am working in the shop. Those products contain ingredients that can cause fish eyes in newly spray paint if they find their way to a prepped surface. I have used instant detailer to clean up a newly painted car. Don't apply to much pressure as that can cause the paint to move. Double check with your painter, but I wouldn't put anything on new paint till it was cured. I've been told by painters it blocks the air from curing the paint below the surface. If you use a pc before the cure you can move the paint around. Meq,s instant detailer is good stuff. Always use an MF towel.
    Last edited by Cruiser57; 04-10-2011 at 11:50 PM. Reason: Forgot something
    www.cleancarstl.com
    Check Us Out On Facebook and YouTube
    Don't Have The Time....Let Us Shine!

Post Thanks / Like

Meguiar's makes a number of products that are labeled "body shop safe", including a spray detailer- Final Inspection #34.
    Meguiar's Direct Final Inspection -

Bill

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys!
    I will have to pick up some Megs #34. I have a few of their compounds and polishes for buffing new paint but I did not realize they had a "body shop safe" detail spray.

I was talking with a local detailer today and he recommended that I maintain my new paint with Megs #86 until my paint has fully cured. He said it is amazing stuff. Any thoughts on this?
    He has been using and selling Megs products for years but the #34 must have slipped his mind when we were talking.

Meguiars Solo Cut & Polish Cream #86, meguiars Professional polish, one liquid system, meguiars M86, meguiars 86