autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Microfiber Towels - Did I Miss Something ??

I have not heard from anyone at Autogeek yet about the towels I may have to give them a call later.

Post Thanks / Like

Please keep us updated about their reply to this.
    Exotic Auto Detail trade review / feedback:
    Think twice if you're going to trade with ExoticAutoDetai.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorta in relation, but I have also noticed the indigo towels are no where to be found either, and I have been waiting to order more of these.

Is something amiss in microfiber land??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by reality33 View Post
    Sorta in relation, but I have also noticed the indigo towels are no where to be found either, and I have been waiting to order more of these.

Is something amiss in microfiber land??
    They stopped carrying these because they were coming in with hot-wired edges. It's a shame because these were great towels(pre hot-wire edging).

As far as the 75/25, I wouldn't look into it that much. I got some of the new 75/25 light blue cobra towels with rolled edges from AG, and they're very soft and absorbent. Great towel!
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

In regard to the indigo towels with hot wire edging, I've seen them on sale & I'm wondering if the edges are cut off could they be used for polishing paint or will they unravel? No one seems to have them in stock.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think they would unravel, I have cut up MF towels before and not had a problem. Besides, the hot wire cut melts the towel and forms an "edge". If you have ever burnt a piece of plastic you see that the burnt part melts and becomes harder than then rest. Kind of the same thing happens to nylon (MF) when it gets burnt. Hot wire cut MF towels are not something I would touch my paint with. HTH

Post Thanks / Like

I received an email from Nick at AG this afternoon. His response was. "We currently stock the 75/25 and the 80/20. There is a possibility in the future that we will bring in more microfiber towels."

FYI. I did find a link to the an old mf chart as you can see it has changed dramatically. Look towards the bottom of the list.

Cobra Lime Green Microfiber Towels 12 Pack

I am still interested in how do the new Cobra Gold XL 75/25 compare to the old Cobra XL 70/30, etc. I have had some of the 75/25 MF-towels that did not pass the CD test and just did not feel the same as the 70/30 blend mf-towels. I noticed that the old Cobra Gold has a weight of 380 g/m2, the new 75/25 blend has a weight of 600 g/m2.

Post Thanks / Like

IME by the time you figure out what's going on with the currently available towels, they will have changed again. Because of the vagaries of the way towels are sourced, there is always something changing, the blend, the weight, the edging.

I mean, you'd buy some towels last year that you really liked and this year someone would ask for a recommendation or you'd want some more for yourself, and you'd go back to the same store and the product might have the same name and be very different from last year's.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Godspeed View Post
    I don't think they would unravel, I have cut up MF towels before and not had a problem. Besides, the hot wire cut melts the towel and forms an "edge". If you have ever burnt a piece of plastic you see that the burnt part melts and becomes harder than then rest. Kind of the same thing happens to nylon (MF) when it gets burnt. Hot wire cut MF towels are not something I would touch my paint with. HTH
    Maybe I wasn't clear; what I meant is if I cut the burnt end off the towel, about 1/2" all the way around let's say, so that there's nothing but the large unburned fiber center part of the towel, it seems like it would be just like a towel without a hot wire cut. I'm trying to figure out why that wouldn't work, especially since the hot wire towels are selling for $3.99. Seems like an easy way to save ~$6 per towel. Ideas?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12