autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Topping off NXT 2.0

I'm working through a bottle of Meguiars NXT 2.0 sealant/wax and I'm wondering what would be good to put over it to give a bit more shine but not break the bank doing it. It looks good but I always want it to look even better!
    Marre

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Topping off NXT 2.0

Hmm. Perhaps someone has a good answer for you... My opinion is that NXT is definitely more of a sealant than a wax, and you will probably find it difficult to get anything else to truly layer onto it resulting in any real improvement. You could try a polymer mirror glaze under your NXT next time; might give you some additional pop. Most candy-coating sealants are not going to like to lay on the NXT.

Post Thanks / Like

I usually seal my car with M21 and then top with M26. I did pickup some AutoGlym HD wax from Wally World and it does look good on my red. The wax tends to reduce the 'plastic' looking gloss from the sealant, but that is just my uneducated opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

I have used DP Max Wax overtop of NXT 2.0. It gave it a little extra POP that I was looking for. But I found that the NXt didn't last more that about 6 weeks for me and had to restart / reapply to maintain the looks I was going for.

Post Thanks / Like

As has been noted, you can top with a wax...I'm not sure how cost effective that's going to be for you if you're unwilling to part with your NXT for something better (I still have my first bottle of NXT...I'm hoping to use it up eventually...but I have about 20 other LSP's keeping it company...)

So anyway there are plenty of waxes you could top it with for some more "pop"...cost effective, that's up to you. As noted, there are rumors of $20 cans of Autoglym HD at Wal-Mart, and you may be able to find some Meg's #26 locally, or P21S or its cheaper twin, S100.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Marre View Post
    I'm working through a bottle of Meguiars NXT 2.0 sealant/wax and I'm wondering what would be good to put over it to give a bit more shine but not break the bank doing it. It looks good but I always want it to look even better!
    Marre
    Hi Marre,

What are you working on and what color is it?

Quote Originally Posted by soonervette View Post
    I usually seal my car with M21 and then top with M26.
    That's a pretty good combo and the chemical compatibility should be good too. M26 has been around for probably 25 or 30 years, its a true show car wax or "Finishing Wax". The key to using it like most finishing waxes is to apply a thin coating, then allow it to dry and then carefully wipe it off. It dries clear so correctly used, (a thin coating), it can be hard to see on some colors.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to all for your tips.
    I am working on a Mazda 3 liquid silver metallic.
    The M26 sounds good but I'm not sure if I could see the difference with silver.
    The DP and Autoglym HD also sound interesting, a little more pop would make me feel better about my uninformed purchase of NXT, which does indeed disappear quickly and give the paint a plastic look.
    And yes, letting it sit on the shelf is sounding better all the time!
    So I guess anything that would work with the NXT and silver paint would be the most helpful. I should have mentioned the color in the first place.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I get pop on my black truck using NXT but not so much on my silver BMW and Corvette. So I just received some SS II and will see how that does.

Post Thanks / Like

Good information. I have liked using NXT, it was my lsp. I asked the Meguiars rep and M21 is virtually the same product as NXT, but available in the 64oz container, so I bought some at DF. Perhaps I should try some M26 on top. Hmmmm