autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking to upgrade or not ??

Before I spend the money.I would like to get some info.I'm retired,so I don't spend if I don't need to.I want to get some swirl remover ,polish etc & go the whole 9 yards with my car.I have a small random orbiter buffer that has one speed.4000 rpm.Will this suffice ? Somehow I know what the answer will be.It is fine for buffing,but from what I am reading it seems I will have to upgrade.The 7424 seems the answer,but I would like some input.I have spent over 50 years waxing cars,but always by hand.This is uncharted waters for me.Swirl removing sounds most excellent,but I would rather leave as is if I am going to do damage to my car (sparky

Post Thanks / Like

Re: to upgrade or not ??

With the right pads and product the PC will be both safe and effective for swirl removal.

Post Thanks / Like

A little feedback...

Try not to get overwhelmed with all the products and look at just the basics..

Like you I did my cars manually and then discovered how much better they turned out using a dual action polisher like the Porter Cable 7424 and appropriate pads and products.

Everyone starts off as a beginner but with some reading, questions, and trial, error, and practice you'll be amazed how much you'll be able to do.

This link contains articles written by Mike Phillips and has allot of great reading within.

Articles by Mike Phillips

Basic steps in order are:

• Wash
    • Clay
    • Paint Correction & Polish
    • Seal
    • Wax

Make detailing enjoyable and practice. Take your time and do not become overwhelmed. Just because there are a thousand product doesn't mean you have to use them all.

Pick one product from each category from the steps above. You already have some great waxes so you're that far ahead of the game..

Autogeek has a kit section that contains everything you need to get started.

Kit Page

Car Care Kits, Car Care Cleaning Kits, Complete Detailing Kits

Decent kit

Pinnacle Twins & Meguiar's G110v2 Dual Action Polisher Kit FREE BONUS

Much better kit

Menzerna Porter Cable XP Maximum Shine Kit FREE BONUS

Flex Kit

If I were in the market for a kit this would be the one I'd choose.
    Pinnacle Flex XC3401 Polishing & Swirl Remover kit, Pinnacle polishes, swirl removers, finishing polish, flex buffer

One Step Product

Menzerna Sealing Wax

Menzerna Sealing Wax APO 60, Menzerna APO 60, Menzerna wax

Meguiar's D151

Meguiars Paint Reconditioning Cream D151

Sealants

Menzerna Power Lock Paint Sealant

Menzerna Power Lock Polymer Paint Sealant, Menzerna auto sealant, car sealant, paint sealant protectant

Other quality sealants

• Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant
    • Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze
    • DP Poli-Coat Paint Sealant

Wax

Collinite 845

Collinite Liquid Insulator Wax #845, liquid wax, heat-resistant wax, car wax

Pinnacle Signature Series ll

Pinnacle Signature Series II Carnauba Paste Wax will give you a deep, wet finish will exceed your expectations. car wax, carnauba paste wax, pinnacle

Detailer’s Pro Series Max Wax

DP Max Wax- Made with pure carnauba wax and advanced polymers.

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

If you want to be able to defect removal I would whole heartedly recommend getting a better D/A machine.

Like you were saying for polishing what you have may work, but there are some things that will dictate your decision.

What size and type of backing plate does your current D/A have? This will have a bearing on what pads you can use and if the backing plate cannot be changed it may not let you use pads small enough to keep the machine rotating.

If you cannot alter the speed of your current machine it will not allow you to always dial in the right combination of product being used vs. the surface you are working on.

In my opinion the cost of a new machine, considering you will most likely need to purchase pads either way, is low considering the advantages gained. You will then be able to tackle anything and have the right power, speed adjustment, pads and backing plate to get it done a lot more efficiently.
    If you are trying to do even modest defect removal an inferior machine and pad selection will yield inferior results and take forever to accomplish, if even possible.

Look at the Griots 6" D/A and purchase the Lake Country 5" backing plate with your choice of Lake Country 5.5" flat or CCS pads. This machine has a lifetime warranty, lots of power and other than the Flex 3401 is my favorite D/A and I have been able to try most that are currently available.

Griot's Garage 6 inch Random Orbital Polisher, Dual action buffer, DA polisher
    Lake Country 5 1/2 x 7/8 inch Beveled Edge Foam Pads, buffing pads, Lake Country curved edge pads, polishing pads
    Porter Cable 7424 Backing Plates- Dual Action Hook & Loop backing plate for your porter cable 7424, The best backing plates for the Porter Cable 7424
    Buddy

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Just wanted to thank those who replied to my question.I really appreciate everyones input.Honestly,I do not know anyone personally who is into this as I am.It is becoming a great hobby also.Over the past few months I have gotten a lot of valuable info on this blog. Thanks again to all Tom

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Audi X2 View Post
    Look at the Griots 6" D/A and purchase the Lake Country 5" backing plate with your choice of Lake Country 5.5" flat or CCS pads. This machine has a lifetime warranty, lots of power and other than the Flex 3401 is my favorite D/A and I have been able to try most that are currently available.

Why are you choosing to use the Lake Country 5" backing plate vs the 6 inch that comes with the Griots 6" DA? Is the 6" with 6 1/2" pad just too big for your tastes or is it something else?

Are the backing plates easy to change out? Like use the 5" most of the time with Griots DA and switch out to a 3" for small areas?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Audi X2 View Post
    If you want to be able to defect removal I would whole heartedly recommend getting a better D/A machine.

Like you were saying for polishing what you have may work, but there are some things that will dictate your decision.

What size and type of backing plate does your current D/A have? This will have a bearing on what pads you can use and if the backing plate cannot be changed it may not let you use pads small enough to keep the machine rotating.

If you cannot alter the speed of your current machine it will not allow you to always dial in the right combination of product being used vs. the surface you are working on.

In my opinion the cost of a new machine, considering you will most likely need to purchase pads either way, is low considering the advantages gained. You will then be able to tackle anything and have the right power, speed adjustment, pads and backing plate to get it done a lot more efficiently.
    If you are trying to do even modest defect removal an inferior machine and pad selection will yield inferior results and take forever to accomplish, if even possible.

Griot's Garage 6 inch Random Orbital Polisher, Dual action buffer, DA polisher
    Lake Country 5 1/2 x 7/8 inch Beveled Edge Foam Pads, buffing pads, Lake Country curved edge pads, polishing pads
    Porter Cable 7424 Backing Plates- Dual Action Hook & Loop backing plate for your porter cable 7424, The best backing plates for the Porter Cable 7424
    I agree 100% and couldnt say it as well! I would recommend the 5" new Megs DA MF System. I havent tried mine yet but the reviewss are stunningly good and the pads are machine washable.
    My name is Jim and I am an Old Auburn Tiger.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cbsb View Post
    Why are you choosing to use the Lake Country 5" backing plate vs the 6 inch that comes with the Griots 6" DA? Is the 6" with 6 1/2" pad just too big for your tastes or is it something else?

Are the backing plates easy to change out? Like use the 5" most of the time with Griots DA and switch out to a 3" for small areas?
    The Griots will work fine with a 6" BP but a 5" = as Tim Allen says "More Power!"
    My name is Jim and I am an Old Auburn Tiger.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cbsb View Post

The primary and most important reason to use the 5" backing plate is simply that on a dual action polisher, other than the Flex 3401, it is necessary to keep the machine rotating for defect removal. Larger pads under load have more mass and will not rotate properly.

Yes, the backing plates are very easy to change and all of the machines come with a tool to do so. It would not be a problem at all to switch between two different backing plate sizes if so desired. Peronally I have two machines and keep a different size backing plate on each one.
    Buddy

Post Thanks / Like

If your going to purchase a DA, the Griots 6" is the way to go. In your case, I don't believe switching out the backing plate would be necessary. Purchase 1 extra pad each and a quart of Meguiars 105 & 205 and have fun....your going to love it I promise
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”