autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

How Does One Handle This.....

I had a client that wanted a full paint correction on a Toyota Rav4. It is a beautiful "electric" blue, and the paint was flawless when the job was complete until the polish turned a bunch of pits on the hood/bumper white. With the color being so dark the white pits stood out more than the paint correction!!!! I've done other vehicles in the past where a deep scratch just pops with a jeweled finish. So my question is, how do you deal with such a situation?
    I don't want it to look wet, I want it to look Soaked!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How Does One Handle This.....

I use IPA to soften up the polish residue, re wash the car, rinse well with a pressure washer then apply a clear sealant like UPGP, Opti-Seal or I have had nice results using DG #111 as it does seem to dry clear.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Jimmy,

I'm not telling you something you don't already know but the polish residue needs to be removed.

You can try some Isopropyl Alcohol or Mineral Spirits. You might also want to try some DuPont Prep-Sol. Soak a cotton cloth and concentrate the pressure directly on the defect. You might find a small brush could be of help here.

Once you get them cleaned up, apply a wax like Collinite 845 that doesn't chalk or turn white when it dries.

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

I tried to remove the residue with Griots wax removal, I didn't think of using Isopropyl Alcohol or Mineral Spirits. What dilution/ratio do you use with the IPA? So after softing the polish combo 105/205/85rd with Isopropyl Alcohol or Mineral Spirits the likely hood of a removal is to wash? KOOL!! Thanks Dave & Bobby!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjam View Post
    I tried to remove the residue with Griots wax removal, I didn't think of using Isopropyl Alcohol or Mineral Spirits. What dilution/ratio do you use with the IPA? So after softing the polish combo 105/205/85rd with Isopropyl Alcohol or Mineral Spirits the likely hood of a removal is to wash? KOOL!! Thanks Dave & Bobby!
    Hey Jimmy,

Since your trying to remove polish I'd use IPA straight. What ever you end up using you still want to wash the area down with your favorite car wash then you should be good to go...

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Just be careful not to scratch the paint. It sounds like it has already been corrected so the pressure washer may be the best way to go.....

You don't want a towel to re-scratch the paint when you are concentrating all of your pressure in one general area.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    Hey Jimmy,

Since your trying to remove polish I'd use IPA straight. What ever you end up using you still want to wash the area down with your favorite car wash then you should be good to go...
    Thanks Bobby,
    This info is gold to me!

Quote Originally Posted by Troy Fuller View Post
    Just be careful not to scratch the paint. It sounds like it has already been corrected so the pressure washer may be the best way to go.....

You don't want a towel to re-scratch the paint when you are concentrating all of your pressure in one general area.
    Hi Troy,
    This would definitely be a concern. The only thing that scares me about a pressure washer is the polish is embedded in pits made by road debris, and my fear is to lift the paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Its probably not the best or right way( may be the quickest solution though when your pressed for time), but in a situation like that I top off with some colored wax. Its not a good wax but it will hide the white wax built up in the chips.

Post Thanks / Like

I would imagine you could just brush it out with a boars hair brush once it dries completely. I usually just pinch the bristles to stiffen them up a bit, and brush it out. I would think that would be easier than re washing. But who knows!