autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Clear coat too warm?

Another silly question for the experts. I have posted before about my clear coat being softer than butter. No matter what MF I use micro marring is induced. So, the question is this: I know that polishing creates heat. Does the clear coat "soften" under the friction and heat of a DA? If so, should I wait for it to cool or harden before I hit it with a MF for final wipe? If my heating theory is way off can I wet sand the damn clear off?! Another 5 hours wasted yesterday prepping for DF. Marred again taking LSP off...very gently.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Clear coat too warm?

The clear coat on my Vette is rock hard but I also get micro marring . What I learned is the Micro Fiber towels I was using was inducing it . You may want to check you towels and make sure there isn't any small specs of dirt hiding out. Also what brand a towel makes a really big difference . I can show you at DF the ones I prefer .As far as the clear cost soften under heat I never seen that remember that the clear coat on automotive finishes are cured in a spray booth with heat lamps and or heat .
    Lamborghini Broward

Post Thanks / Like
    Good point on the heat curing when applied. I didn't think that through. I will bring my towels to DF...believe me, I thought they were uber plush. I look forward to meeting you and checking out your towels.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you need some Opti-Coat! If you want me to coat a section of your car @ DF I could. See if that section marrs less.

Metro Detroit's Leader in Vehicle Preservation & Perfect Paint Finishes

Post Thanks / Like
    That would be too awesome David. At least I will know it works. If it does I will still make arrangements with you when I head home to WPB to do the whole car. Thanks for the great offer!!

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Porsche Pilot View Post
    I know that polishing creates heat. Does the clear coat "soften" under the friction and heat of a DA? If so, should I wait for it to cool or harden before I hit it with a MF for final wipe?
    From a Physics point of view, yes heat does "soften" the paint.

Heat is essentially the motion of atoms/molecules, a form of kinetic energy. A higher temperature means faster motion. In the opposite direction, Absolute Zero (0 degrees Kelvin) is the absence of all molecular motion. To create "heat" there must be a transfer of energy to the material. In this case, energy is imparted to the paint molecules by friction.

The effect of molecules moving faster is that they bump into each other harder and in turn bounce further apart, this is why materials expand when heated (like when I turn on my deep fryer, there is about an inch more oil once it heats up. Sidewalks are made in small sections to alleviate the stress of expansion and contraction, there are many real world examples). When a material has expanded the bonds are weaker, this is why metal is more pliable when heated. Take a piece or re-bar and try to bend it then hit it in the center with a blowtorch, try again and see how hard it is.

From a purely scientific stand point your paint is softer when hot. How much this actually effects the detailing world, I don't know.

If you want to jump down the Physics rabbit hole, we can talk about TIME. It's not a constant, it's rate changes with velocity and this is proven in daily life by the technology we use. GPS, for example, wouldn't work without compensating for time Dilation.

Super Member Joe@Superior Shine's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by A4 1.8tqm View Post

Heat is essentially the motion of atoms/molecules, a form of kinetic energy. A higher temperature means faster motion. In the opposite direction, Absolute Zero (0 degrees Kelvin) is the absence of all molecular motion. To create "heat" there must be a transfer of energy to the material. In this case, energy is imparted to the paint molecules by friction.

The effect of molecules moving faster is that they bump into each other harder and in turn bounce further apart, this is why materials expand when heated (like when I turn on my deep fryer, there is about an inch more oil once it heats up. Sidewalks are made in small sections to alleviate the stress of expansion and contraction, there are many real world examples). When a material has expanded the bonds are weaker, this is why metal is more pliable when heated. Take a piece or re-bar and try to bend it then hit it in the center with a blowtorch, try again and see how hard it is.

From a purely scientific stand point your paint is softer when hot. How much this actually effects the detailing world, I don't know.

If you want to jump down the Physics rabbit hole, we can talk about TIME. It's not a constant, it's rate changes with velocity and this is proven in daily life by the technology we use. GPS, for example, wouldn't work without compensating for time Dilation.

This has to be the coolest post I have ever read!! I wish I had smarts like that. Thanks for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by A4 1.8tqm View Post

You just blew my mind. I was gonna say, of course your clear is softer when heated. But you pretty much took care of that and then some, haha.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by superior_shine View Post
    This has to be the coolest post I have ever read!! I wish I had smarts like that. Thanks for sharing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristopher1129 View Post
    You just blew my mind. I was gonna say, of course your clear is softer when heated. But you pretty much took care of that and then some, haha.

Ha! Thanks, I watch the free webcasts of Physics for future Presidents at Berkley University with Professor Richard A. Muller and Bob Jacobsen more than I browse and post at Autogeek LOL.

The course focuses on the conceptual understanding of each topic instead of doing math or solving equations. Covering current world issues and their relationship with topics such as Atoms and Heat, Electricity and Magnetism, Climate Change, Energy efficiency and dependency, Nukes and Radioactivity, and my favorites; Waves, Quantum Physics, Relativity, and The Universe. All presented in simple and understandable language with lots of visual demonstrations. No prior Physics education is necessary to comfortably understand the lectures and you will walk away from each one with new knowledge about current issues based on scientific FACTS (not twisted opinions like from, say, FOX NEWS LOL marks thread).

Having watched every semester's course since '06 at least once, this stuff is engraved into my brain. I am anxiously waiting for the newest semesters webcasts and the new link posted on the site is broken...

Post Thanks / Like

A4 lost me right after "from a..." LOL...

You learn something new every day...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast