autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Is this combo safe for the paint?

Hey guys! Long time lurker and finally decided to join. I recently bought a black '98 camaro and is in need of some polishing. The products used are Poorboys SSR2.5, SSR1, Lake County pads (orange, green, (2) black), Porter Cable 7424xp. The swirls aren't terrible, but I believe it does need the orange pads. I know you should use less cut as possible, but don't have the white pad to know but even a few swirls are left with the orange. I was having trouble with micro-marring with the 2.5 and orange pad on speed 5. Even after following up with the ssr1 and black pad, they were still noticeable in white LED light. The car has an aftermarket hood so luckily I had the stock in the garage to test on using different sections/halfs. After doing some more testing I found that adding a slight bit of pressure (wasn't using much at all before), working in the polish longer, and turning the speed up to 6, and spraying a slight mist of detailer on the pad that most of the marring went away. This was with the ssr2.5 and orange pad as well. So my question is would this be to hard on the paint? I think I've read where the paint on these cars are pretty hard, but I don't want to wear the clear coat to thin. Thanks in advance for any suggestions and/or answers! Oh and I'm following up the polishing with some black hole and topping it with natty's blue.

-Drew

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome and congrats on finally joining the forums as this is a great place to get questions answered! It's hard to say if this combo would be to aggressive since it's a 98 and could of been polished several times in the pasted. As most will probably agree you should start with the least aggressive approach and work up from there. If you start to see color on your pad stop polishing, but my guess would be a couple of passes with ssr 2.5 shouldn't be enough to go through the clear as long as it still looks to be in decent shape.
    A passion for perfection!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is this combo safe for the paint?

If you were using a rotary I would be much more concerned about burning through the clear. With the PC and the poorboys I cant imagine you having a problem. If you burn through with this combo then you already had some really thin clear coat and were destined for some problems at some point down the road anyway.

of course this is just my .02

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replys guys! I think I'll be fine too just wanted some extra opinions.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by MooseZ28 View Post
    The products used are Poorboys SSR2.5, SSR1, Lake County pads (orange, green, (2) black), Porter Cable 7424xp.

Hi Drew, welcome to the forum...

Question: Did you buff out the entire car or do some testing to a small area first?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Hi Drew, welcome to the forum...

Question: Did you buff out the entire car or do some testing to a small area first?

Hi Mike thank you!

I did some testing on the stock hood that was sitting in the garage no longer on the car (factory oem with original paint in same condition swirl wise as the car.) Factory hood was replaced with a VFN sunoco that has been painted, so Im thinking I better use the green pad on it being I don't know how many coats of clear was put on when painted.