autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Stripping the wax? Necessary?

So i received my very first purchase from Autogeek and i am very satisfied! I got myself some collinite 845 and would like to apply it to my car! But my car currently has Autogylm HD wax. Do i need to remove it and then put 845 on top or just put it on top of the HD Wax? I have a product called "wax & grease remover" that i use when im about to paint a car, it removes everything n cleans it all! Should i use this to remove the wax and then apply 845? Im really lost here since its the first time ever coming across this situation! Any help will be very much appreciated!
    Hi !

Mike Phillips

Re: Stripping the wax? Necessary?

You can do it a couple of different ways, there's a lot of opinions on which way is best.

I'm a fan of machine polishing with a light finishing polish, this will effectively remove all the old wax, clean the paint so it's smooth, clear and clean and leave it ready for wax.

You could also do this by hand with a paint cleaner.

Both of the above approaches will enhance the appearance of the paint because both steps make the paint look good in and of themselves. The wax will just build on these results.

Chemically stripping doesn't tend to make the paint clear and glossy, in fact it will tend to dull it but you really only see the dulling effect on black or other dark colors. The wax will restore clarity to any dulling that takes place.

Others like to strip the paint with some other approach, Detergent wash, IPA, MS, etc.

What are you working on?

Post Thanks / Like

Strip it! That way you'll start on a clean slate. Then you can really see your new wax in action. Not only that, it will help your wax stick to the paint much easier. Wouldn't hurt to follow the wax remover with an ONR type product. Remover tends to leave paint hazy.

I don't think it's necessary if down the road you wanted to add another coat of wax. But it's good to do if you're trying a new product. That way you'll get a good clean test, and you can compare the two.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't even comment because Mike already dominated everyone elses opinions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    You can do it a couple of different ways, there's a lot of opinions on which way is best.

I'm a fan of machine polishing with a light finishing polish, this will effectively remove all the old wax, clean the paint so it's smooth, clear and clean and leave it ready for wax.

Both of the above approaches will enhance the appearance of the paint because both steps make the paint look good in and of themselves. The wax will just build on these results.

Chemically stripping doesn't tend to make the paint clear and glossy, in fact it will tend to dull it but you really only see the dulling effect on black or other dark colors. The wax will restore clarity to any dulling that takes place.

Others like to strip the paint with some other approach, Detergent wash, IPA, MS, etc.

What are you working on?

there is your answer,,,,simple and yet effective....I personally like a light polish...Sonax makes a great paint cleaner.
    Vision Detailing
    Richmond,KY.40475
    859-623-4435

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fancyfootwork View Post
    I can't even comment because Mike already dominated everyone elses opinions.
    So true, lol. He's quite the expert...

Post Thanks / Like

What are you working on?

Its a 2008 black mustang! Ive wetsanded it to remove all the orange peel and did m105/m205/po85rd! So im guessing that going over with it with PO85rd is what you meant? And then apply the wax?
    Hi !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 93fox View Post
    Its a 2008 black mustang! Ive wetsanded it to remove all the orange peel and did m105/m205/po85rd! So im guessing that going over with it with PO85rd is what you meant? And then apply the wax?
    Is this a re-paint or oem? If oem did you use a ptg after wet sanding?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Is this a re-paint or oem? If oem did you use a ptg after wet sanding?
    Its a repaint, pretty much all they did was shoot some base and a high end dollar shiny clear!
    Hi !

Post Thanks / Like

I did this once with a PC, gray LC pads, and 85rd and liked doing it this way. However I tend to worry about making the clear too thin by repeatedly doing this, regardless of how gentle the gray pads and 85rd are. Someone please tell me that I should never have to worry about making the clear too thin with these tools (even my soft clear coat) because I like being able to use a very fine polish to enhance the gloss and strip wax at the same time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast