autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quarter size paint chip....questions

Alright, well my sister backed her 05 Honda Ridgeline into an ice bank a couple weeks ago and says that there is a quarter size piece of paint missing. She also has some scratches around the same area from a girl that bumped her at work. I have yet to see the truck (she's coming by after work tonight), so I can't really tell how bad the damage is.

I did some searching on the forum and found a bunch of threads about feathersanding RIDS and touch up paint. But I'm not sure if I can use these techniques with such a large spot.

She wants me to touch up the area where the paint in missing. My concern is that since it's not just a tiny chip that your typical chip repair kit like Dr. Colorchip won't suffice to fix it. That I may actually need to sand the area down to the primer and respray it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as always!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Quarter size paint chip....questions

I'll get some pics of it when she comes by so you guys have an idea of what I'm dealing with.

Post Thanks / Like

Alright so here are the pics of the damage I'm looking to fix...not sure if I'm going to be able to fix her bumper. Looks like the plastic bumper flexed and the paint came off all the way to the plastic. So any help with this would be greatly appreciated. The other scratches I can get out without a problem. Oh and it's bigger than a quarter...more like 2 or 3 quarters.
    Bumper

Drivers side rear quarter

Can't really see the damage too well in this pic, but there is some paint transfer and minor scratches along the lip of the wheel well.

Post Thanks / Like

Bump! Can't believe no one has commented on this. Could really use some help with this guys, so any suggestions on how to tackle this spot would be greatly appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have as much experience with this as a lot of guys but I'll throw a guesss out. I have used Dr. Colorchip and I think with the right technique it could handle a spot like this as well. I'm not sure how well it would bond to a big plastic area like that but I con'r think it'll be a problem. With a big area like that you might sand down the damaged quarter size are with a tiny home made sanding disc and a drill. Then apply a layer of touchup paint and after it dries and cures wetsand it and go through the regular steps and layers of buiuding it up. I don't know much about re-spraying...

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! That's what I was figuring, but didn't know that with the spider marks from the bumper flexing that if I started to sand the area that those marks might get worse. Or that more paint might come off.

If I can stay away from re-spraying the area I'd like to, but at the same time I'd like to get a decent repair on it. I realize that it probably won't match perfectly, but the closer the better.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SeaJay's View Post
    ....didn't know that with the spider marks from the bumper flexing that if I started to sand the area that those marks might get worse. Or that more paint might come off.
    Yeah, I don't know either. Hopefully somebody that does know will read this and chime in.

As far as the color goes I think I remember reading from Dr. Colorchip that silvers and golds or maybe it was mettalic paints in particular dont blend as well. I will say the Chilli Pepper Red I ordered matched perfectly!

Post Thanks / Like

I've been reading that sometimes the metallic colors don't match perfectly. But close would be good. I may actually go to Honda and see if I can have them order me the paint in a small spray can if I have to respray the area. I'll wait to see if anyone else chimes in. If not, I'll be attempting this on my own! And I'll be sure to post on the forum about my out come!

Post Thanks / Like

Well I have this on 3 different forums and I haven't received any replies other than from CEE DOG here and another guy saying that it looks like it needs to be resprayed.

So, I think I'm going to tackle this one on my own. I'm going to see if I can find a small spray can of the color and go from there. Thankfully it's my sisters truck, so I can kind of experiment. Worse case, if I mess it up I'll take the bumper off and have the whole thing resprayed.

I'll make sure to start a thread of this when I do it!

Post Thanks / Like
    I can give you full detailed advice on how to do it with an actual spray gun and use basecoat/clearcoat! I have worked at body shops and have painted alot of stuff myself and i currently attend a autobody collision repair school! I think i can help you! Just shoot me an email if you are interested!
    Hi !

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast