autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wetsand / Buff factory paint 05 CTS

I just joined this forum and have some questions. When you get some time feel free to let me know what you think.

I have painted a few vehicles (4 to be exact) and have a little bit of experience in wetsanding & buffing. I was given a porter cable 7424 as a gift a few years back and am still trying to learn the best techniques and products to use.

My current task is to wetsand/buff my wife's 05 cadillac CTS. I have read on here that its not a good idea to wetsand factory paint.

Any suggestions?

I have a PC 7424 (2 years old).
    I need new pads and compounds, just looking for some input.

Thanks for your help!

-Bill
    Last edited by 94blackcamaroz2; 02-15-2011 at 11:45 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wetsand / Buff factory paint 05 CTS

I just did a black 05 CTS a few months ago. Does it really need to be wetsanded? I acheived really good results with the Flex 3401, M105/205 on the LC orange and white pads. I didn't find the clear to be much of a battle but like all things, patience is a virture.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you have a good point. I'm not sure that it needs to be wetsanded like you've said. It does have a little bit of factory orange peel. did you happen to notice any?

I see that you were using the Flex 3401. My 7424 PC should do the job right?

On the products you used, do you suggest I purchase the 32oz bottles, or do I need more?

Post Thanks / Like

32 ounce should be enough if you just doing your car. Each time you compound you use about 2-3 ounce at most, so the bottle should last you about 10 cars.

The pc should get the job done if your technique is right, it might take a bit slower.

Post Thanks / Like

I didnt find the peel to be excessive. The customer didnt know what it was but I was able to achieve about 90% correction and the car looked sweet. Like slick said, 32 ounces should be more than plenty and the PC will do it with the right combo. I guess the big question is...what sort of results are you looking to achieve?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input.

I think I need to watch some of Mike's video's of the PC. I dont believe I'm doing it right. I buffed my 94 black Z28 camaro and it looked fantastic in the garage. Took it outside and talk about a kick in the junk. swirls all through it. Then again I was using some 3M product.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm trying to achieve near factory shine. I would like it to look brand new, orange peel set aside.

There are swirl marks, and some scratches all over it.

Are my expectations set too high?

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, the sunlight kick in the junk. I can assure we have all experienced that. A great investment, and cheap, is the Brinkmann light. Swirls can be sneaky and not show under different types of lighting. Your expectations are not too high in my opinion. That PC can yield amazing results. Definitely take the time to pour over Mike's tutorials and hop on the forums. There is a wealth of knowledge on here. What color Caddy?

Post Thanks / Like

Let me add one more bit of advice. There can be a learning curve with the M105. I have found the Wolfgang twins to be a great product line and a bit easier to work with if you are just starting out.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the PC and I've gotten some great results with it using the M105/M205 combo and the LC CCS yellow, orange, and white pads.

It takes a little longer and you have to have some patience but you can achieve great results with it. Watch a couple of Mike's videos and search the forum. You'll find all the info you need. Remember to do a test spot first to ensure your process works and to get the right combo of pad and polish. On my 06 Avalanche I had to use M105 and the LC CCS yellow pad, followed by the M205 on the White LC CCS pad. Took some time but got the paint to near perfection. You may have to be satisfied with 90-95% correction. Especially if it's a daily driver with chips taken out of the paint or anything.

Also, I'd suggest trying to stay away from wet sanding if you can. It's tough to get out wet sanding marks with the PC, or so everyone here says so. I've never tried it myself, but everyone says that if you wetsand to hit it with a rotary after. Makes quicker work of it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast