autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 911 Rust is eating up my car in and out.

Quote Originally Posted by 93fox View Post
    looking at it from my point of view please hear this. do not take it to maaco. i repeat, DO NOT TAKE IT TO MAACO!!! its the worst thing you can do to your car. i am studying autobody collision repair and we have been told maaco is by far the worst place to take a car. as far as the roof goes, it has to get treated and repainted. im sure your roof had about 1 1/2 coats of clear. i doubt it even had 2. im really sorry that happened to your car. if you would like i can give you a detailed explanation as of what you can do to resolve it. trust me, painting seems hard, but as long as you have the correct things to use and follow the correct procedures its a breeze!
    Thats strange they would tell you maaco is the worst place you can take your car. Maaco's are all individually owned and quality is all dependent upon the skill of the painter. I've seen both horrible Maaco paint job and some outstanding ones.
    Alan T.

Post Thanks / Like

Park in front of your Mitsubishi dealer with your truck and a big sign describing the problem and lack of concern from the dealer. You may have to be there dawn to dusk week after week.
    And try to get the local TV news crews to come out and cover your demonstration. Lots of dealers have caved under any kind of bad press and either fixed the protester's truck or given them another.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lasthope05 View Post
    Thats strange they would tell you maaco is the worst place you can take your car. Maaco's are all individually owned and quality is all dependent upon the skill of the painter. I've seen both horrible Maaco paint job and some outstanding ones.
    yea i know that but you can get a whole better job from other bodyshops. even tough maaco are individually own ive never seen a maaco job last more than 2 years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bmmz3kwe View Post
    As for the rust under the seats, I feel like thats normal. I have a 2000 Ford Explorer and the seats have that rust coating, as does the metal behind the dashboard.
    Really...ok

Quote Originally Posted by builthatch View Post
    x2

but that other stuff, the exterior stuff...i thought that was a well-documented issue against mitsu? it's obvious that EVERYTHING has failed within the paint system they used during that time period.
    You would think so, but No not enough proof for a judge.

Thanks
    Rosie

Post Thanks / Like

Needs a paint job. There's nothing you can really do with this besides just have it resprayed. The clear coat has obviously failed. Cheap stuff I guess.

I don't think you'll be spending $3000 to $6000 though. As long as you don't change the color, it should be a pretty straight forward paint job. Maybe in the $1500 to $2000 range for a good paint job.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Your roof has surface rust for sure. The rest is clear coat failure

The undercarriage (petro tank/floorboards) you might wanna sand down and spray black

Not alot can be done then to respray the exterior. If moneys tight, you might checkout someplace like Maaco for one of their $600 Ultimate Supreme Specials

You could also just leave the keys in the ignition and only hope some knucklehead wraps it around a pole...< J/K
    I will put this in my "to do" list

About leaving the keys in the car.... if I mess it up I will think about it...lolll
    Rosie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jons6.7 View Post
    Wow that blows, if ur on your own I would look tosomeone like macco and do there "uber" one since it will still cost less than a roof paint at a regular place. The good one from them will cover more prep and turn out better.

With that many failures of the paint u may be able to slow it down but all u are doing is buying time to failure.

The kbs looks good for the inside, if your going that route. Strip the interior out and cover the whole inside at one time

What do you mean take the seats out?
    Rosie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by longdx View Post
    It is a shame aboutyour paint. Apparently Mitsubishi, Honda, and some of the other Japanese manufacturers skimped on paint techniques during that time period. I would agree going with the Maaco route,
    3 days ago I found a website with all these car owner with the same problem and there were some Ford car owner too.
    Rosie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 93fox View Post
    looking at it from my point of view please hear this. do not take it to maaco. i repeat, DO NOT TAKE IT TO MAACO!!! its the worst thing you can do to your car. i am studying autobody collision repair and we have been told maaco is by far the worst place to take a car. as far as the roof goes, it has to get treated and repainted. im sure your roof had about 1 1/2 coats of clear. i doubt it even had 2. im really sorry that happened to your car. if you would like i can give you a detailed explanation as of what you can do to resolve it. trust me, painting seems hard, but as long as you have the correct things to use and follow the correct procedures its a breeze!
    Thank You!!, if you think it can be done outside of a shop then I will give it a go.
    Rosie

Post Thanks / Like

I think Eastwood has a rust converter too. As for the body, could you get just part of the body painted an blended? That might be the best solution. It sure looks like a bad paint job that was poorly done.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast