autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Newbie needs help!!

Hi, I am new to this forum and I must say, WOW!!! There is sooooo much information here, I could read for days (I actually have), but its a double edged sword. As much reading as I have done, there might be tooooo much information here. I dont know which way is up. There are clay bars, carnuba wax, cleaner wax, polishes, pads, pc's, glaze etc. Boy do I need some help.

Ok, this is my situation. I just purchased a black mercedes gl450. I drive it about 2-3 days a week due to my company car. I usually just wash my vehicle but I have noticed recently that I am getting swirl marks in the paint and water spots due to a sprinkler with some kind of chemical in the water. No matter how many times I wash my car, the swirl marks and the water spots remain.

I wanted to purchase some products from the autogeekonline store, but I do not know where to start. I would like to remove the swirl marks, wax and seal the paint. Am I missing something? Is there something else I should be getting? Am I biting off more than I can chew? Should I just pay someone to do the work for me? Sorry, Im rambling. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Newbie needs help!!

get a porter cable, or a flex if you got the cash. Get some Meguiars 105 polishing compound and some Megs 205 to use AFTER the 105. This process will remove both the swirls and etchings from the hard water sprinkler. Use an orange pad for the 105 and a white pad for the 205. Once you are done polishing.. pick from the wide selection of waxes or car sealants to protect your car.

The biggest piece of information I can give you though is to wash your car by hand. If you need to go to a carwash make sure it is Touchless.

For a sealant I am a big fan of Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant.

As for waxes I really like Natty's Blue paste wax or Dodo Juice waxes. Pinnacle Souveran and Signature Series II are also extraordinary products.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jcbutta View Post
    Hi, I am new to this forum
    welcome to the site.
    I could read for days (I actually have)
    I've been reading for years and haven't seen it all.

I wanted to purchase some products from the autogeekonline store, but I do not know where to start. I would like to remove the swirl marks, wax and seal the paint. Am I missing something? Is there something else I should be getting? Am I biting off more than I can chew? Should I just pay someone to do the work for me? Sorry, Im rambling. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Given the fact that MB paint is so hard I would say to follow the advice given above by fancyfootwork. All the stuff he mentions (not the Flex) would cost you about the same amount as a good quality detail and you would have the equipment to do the work from here on out instead of paying a few hundred each year for someone else to do the work.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome,

If the car is brand new, I don't think he need M105 with orange pads. I think M205 with white pad will have enough cutting ability to remove those swirls and water spots.

Always do a test area first so you can find the right compound/polish/pads before you do the whole car.

A few things you should get are
    1. DA
    2. 5 inch backing plates
    3. 5.5 inch LC flat pads
    4. M105/M205
    5. 2 home depot 5 gallon buckets
    6. sealant of your choice
    7. clay bar
    8. detailing solution by the gallon
    9. APC+
    10. grit guard
    11. a dozen on high quality MF
    12. your choice of wax

That should be enough to have your car looking better then ever.

Post Thanks / Like

+1 for Slickooz. Grit Guard and 2 bucket method are key. Quality microfibers also.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi

Welcome. I'm pretty new here too but from all that I've gathered, to fix your car up you're going to need to get a dual action polisher, some pads, good microfibers, some clay, quick detailer (or a no rinse concentrate), and a polishing combo, then a sealant and/or wax. Check the Mike Philips articles. Also, plan to spend at least 7-8 hours on the exterior.

Many on here like Megs 105/205/Menz P85rd as their combo followed by a paint sealant then a topper if desired.

There are some expensive toppers out there and endless debate about what's best for what but the most important step is the polishing.

Oh, one last thing you're going to need... warmer weather!

edit: jeez, I must type slow or something, thought i was going to be the first reply...

slickooz, you used white pad and 205 for your car right? Not sure if I even need to go orange pad with UC as a first step after clay... guess a test spot will be in order come springtime...

Post Thanks / Like

I would only use orange pad with the white pad doesn't correct the swirls.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slickooz View Post
    I would only use orange pad with the white pad doesn't correct the swirls.
    must have remembered wrong then. I think after reading your tsx detail I wanted to try 205 only but couldn't remember the pad

To all, for your test spots is it usually the worst part of the car or an easily accessible part like the hood?

Post Thanks / Like

You can do a few test spots. What ever is easy for you, but the hood should usually have the most swirls on the car.

Post Thanks / Like

Well you can first use M205 with white pad and if it doesn't remove all the swirls use M205 with orange pad. Then you can try M105 with white then M105 with orange depends how bad the paint is.

is that correct?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast