autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How to get WGDGPS out of LC pads?

1) Can anyone recommend how to properly clean a red LC pad after applying WGDGPS? I've tried soaking it in DP cleaning solution and it still seems to hold the product. Is the pad ruined or still usable? Same for the Cobra microfibers, soaked them, boiled them, they still hold onto the WG product.

2) Since discovering Autogeek Fuzion is the only wax I've used from the site and I'm almost out. Any recommendations on a good wax/pad combo I can experiment with that works well over WGDGPS on a white suv using a PC 7424xp?

3) How's the housing market and weather in Florida..........it's snowing here and my clean car is getting dirty!! Good for autogeek's sales

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to get WGDGPS out of LC pads?

Have you tried using an all-purpose-cleaner? For tough jobs, the dilution ratio is going to have to be low. 4:1 or so.
    Enrique - Amateur Detailer Extraordinaire
    "Man is an emotional animal, occasionally rational; and through his feelings he can be deceived to his heart's content." - Durant

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by superd View Post
    1) Can anyone recommend how to properly clean a red LC pad after applying WGDGPS? I've tried soaking it in DP cleaning solution and it still seems to hold the product. Is the pad ruined or still usable? Same for the Cobra microfibers, soaked them, boiled them, they still hold onto the WG product.
    Yeah, sealant is designed to be resistant to washing -- that is why you put it on your car. See the following thread for more info on cleaning sealant from pads:
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ning-pads.html

I use the method in post #7 of the above thread and it works pretty good. The idea is to spray the pad with IPA immediately after use. You spray the pad, work the IPA into the pad and the sealant out of the pad with your hands, then you soak the pad in a pad cleaning solution.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kronos View Post
    Have you tried using an all-purpose-cleaner? For tough jobs, the dilution ratio is going to have to be low. 4:1 or so.

I've used the DP Polishing pad rejuvenator with the suggested ratio, maybe a little stronger. Would the all-purpose-cleaner be harsh on the pads or cause any problems with the backing?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Niele View Post
    Yeah, sealant is designed to be resistant to washing -- that is why you put it on your car. See the following thread for more info on cleaning sealant from pads:
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ning-pads.html

I use the method in post #7 of the above thread and it works pretty good. The idea is to spray the pad with IPA immediately after use. You spray the pad, work the IPA into the pad and the sealant out of the pad with your hands, then you soak the pad in a pad cleaning solution.

Thanks, I will give it a try......never thought to use the IPA for the pad itself. What do you use on your microfibers?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by superd View Post

2) Since discovering Autogeek Fuzion is the only wax I've used from the site and I'm almost out. Any recommendations on a good wax/pad combo I can experiment with that works well over WGDGPS on a white suv using a PC 7424xp?

3) How's the housing market and weather in Florida..........it's snowing here and my clean car is getting dirty!! Good for autogeek's sales

you dont. lol . but seriously, its a waste of time.

I suggest you just clean the debris, if any, how you would normally clean your pad. Then label a ziplock bag with WG DGPS, store the pad in there, and re-use it only for that product.

Otherwise, your pretty much wasting a lot of time and product to get the pad completely residue free of the sealant. Most good quality sealants behave this way with a pad. Menz Power lock, DGPS, and BFWD all do this, and i have 3 seperate blue pads for each product, labeled and ziplocked.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mg6045 View Post
    you dont. lol . but seriously, its a waste of time.

I suggest you just clean the debris, if any, how you would normally clean your pad. Then label a ziplock bag with WG DGPS, store the pad in there, and re-use it only for that product.

Otherwise, your pretty much wasting a lot of time and product to get the pad completely residue free of the sealant. Most good quality sealants behave this way with a pad. Menz Power lock, DGPS, and BFWD all do this, and i have 3 seperate blue pads for each product, labeled and ziplocked.
    I can squeeze out some but have never gotten the foam pads completely clean. I have a dedicated 4" red pad that I use for DGPS. I've tried different pad cleaners, APC+ at 1:4, Dawn Power Clean, OPC (full strength), and goodness knows what else. I never tried IPA or mineral spirits and don't know what they would do to the foam.

For MF, I initially wash the sealant/wax MFs separately by hand to remove as much as possible with All. Then I wash them again with a dedicated MF cleaner and use a vinegar rinse.

I have not tried white vinegar to clean the pads either. If you have any other ideas, I am open to suggestions but plan to dedicate certain pads to a given LSP.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt_s View Post
    I can squeeze out some but have never gotten the foam pads completely clean. I have a dedicated 4" red pad that I use for DGPS. I've tried different pad cleaners, APC+ at 1:4, Dawn Power Clean, OPC (full strength), and goodness knows what else. I never tried IPA or mineral spirits and don't know what they would do to the foam.

For MF, I initially wash the sealant/wax MFs separately by hand to remove as much as possible with All. Then I wash them again with a dedicated MF cleaner and use a vinegar rinse.

I have not tried white vinegar to clean the pads either. If you have any other ideas, I am open to suggestions but plan to dedicate certain pads to a given LSP.
    yeah, my only suggestion is to just dedicate a pad to a sealant. i have not found anything much more effective at cleaning a pad that is soaked in sealant than just APC, than rinse, then store for that product only. There are no abrasives, so if you just clean out any loose debris, imo, you are good to go.

Post Thanks / Like

Microfiber cleans easier than foam pads, even if you throw them into the washer. The MF structure is much more open and exposed, the fiber move more and are more loose than static cells in foam.

Foam pads and foam applicators used for sealant should be use for that same purpose from then on. As long as they are clean enough and do not "dry out" you will save product by reusing them. I'm sure some blackfire will not be much of a problem for M105 on a pad (as the pad will wear away eventually), but it could be a problem for something finer. But more importantly, you do not want to apply any LSP after using the pad for any polish. So having dedicated LSP pads helps to avoid contamination that way as well.

Local to Southeast Michigan
    Serving Nationwide

Post Thanks / Like

What ever you use has to be strong enough to break down the product on the pad.

Two products I've found that seem to work well are Meguiar's Super Degreaser and Greased Lightening. Both do an amazing job at dissolving stubborn waxes and sealants. I was cleaning some pads one day and was surprising how well these products did.

As a second step I always wash my pads thoroughly in a solution of Dawn dish liquid and warm water. This finishes the job and removes any of the harsher chemicals that might linger behind.

Always rinse thoroughly in clean water then dry.

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast