autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Washing your vehicle during the winter months.

Quote Originally Posted by dougaross View Post
    Calories that you now use for beer

How can you argue with that logic!

Post Thanks / Like

I have been using a really nice brand new Car wash place. They have several bays and a state of the art touchless and/or soft touch brush wash. I don't go through the touchless I just use the bays. The bays have High Pressure Air Guns to dry the vehicle and a Foaming Suds Gun to suds it up. All kinds of sweet features. There are about a dozen rinse settings, I just use high pressure spotless rinse. Also even a raised metal platform (4 steps up) on the sides of 2 bays so you can get the roof of big tall vehicles. I met the owner and he gave me a wash card $20 worth of time. Doesn't mind me drying/detailing/waxing my vehicle in the bay. Well he was talking to me for 1.5 hours while I was doing the KSG and he gave me a wash card while I was talking to him about KSG and he was explaining how the touchless works. In the summer I come late in the evenings or 6 am. Winter it has been slow for the bays. Most folks are using the touchless.
    Here you can see it. The Wave Carwash I usually opt for the bay on the far left. You can see the raised platform on the second bay from the left.

I just go there when it is slow and do my 2 bucket wash. Then I dry and hand wax. Like having my own state of the art wash facilities. I will either just do a quick 2bucket wash but if it is a nice day in the winter I will throw on a quick coating of KSG and treat the plastic with some Meguiar's Ultimate Protectant.

I use 2 buckets. I fill a cooler with hot water and a few 64 oz jugs with hot water. Enough hot water to fill 2 buckets. I squirt an ounce of Meguiar's Gold Class Car Shampoo into a bucket and then blast it with the high pressure water to create suds, maybe filling it 1/4 full. Then I top off with my hot water.
    Last edited by 1flyfisher; 12-21-2010 at 01:02 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1flyfisher View Post
    I have been using a really nice brand new Car wash place. They have several bays and a state of the art touchless and/or soft touch brush wash. I don't go through the touchless I just use the bays. The bays have high pressure air guns to dry the vehicle and a Foaming suds gun to suds it up. All kinds of sweet features. Also even a raised metal platform (4 steps up) on the sides of 2 bays so you can get the roof of big tall vehicles. I met the owner and he gave me a wash card $10 worth of time. Doesn't mind me drying/detailing/waxing my vehicle in the bay. In the summer I come late in the evenings or 6 am. Winter it has been slow for the bays. Most folks are using the touchless.
    Here you can see it. The Wave Carwash I usually opt for the bay on the far left. You can see the raised platform on the second bay from the left.

I just go there when it is slow and do my 2 bucket wash. Then I dry and hand wax. Like having my own state of the art wash facilities. I will either just do a quick 2bucket wash but if it is a nice day in the winter I will throw on a quick coating of KSG and treat the plastic with some Meguiar's Ultimate Protectant.
    Where do i have to move so I can use this car wash?!?! Air guns?? Foam gun?? I think im going to faint.

Edit: just clicked on the link. Looks like im moving to Reno

Post Thanks / Like

Just a word of warning to using too much water in your garage. I did THIS 2500 GMC pickup last weekend (you can see how dirty it was) and I squeegeed the water out the door several times. The following morning I was walking to my car and fell on the ice. I went down so fast it was shocking. I smashed my head on the driveway (didn't knock a damned bit of sense into me, LOL) and twisted my artificial knee to boot. The temps have stayed well below freezing so the salt I put out there did nothing. Try to plan when the temps at least get above freezing so you don't hurt yourself like I did.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by richy View Post
    Just a word of warning to using too much water in your garage. I did THIS 2500 GMC pickup last weekend (you can see how dirty it was) and I squeegeed the water out the door several times. The following morning I was walking to my car and fell on the ice. I went down so fast it was shocking. I smashed my head on the driveway (didn't knock a damned bit of sense into me, LOL) and twisted my artificial knee to boot. The temps have stayed well below freezing so the salt I put out there did nothing. Try to plan when the temps at least get above freezing so you don't hurt yourself like I did.
    ouch! sorry to hear that. Garage floors are the worst when they ice up. One time I got out of my car in a DIY car wash bay near my house. It was a little below freezing and I tried getting out of my car inside the bay and I fell and smacked my head on the door of my car. It hurt a bit but I was alright. The funny part was that the car wash bay is very slanted to run off all the water into the water drain. Lets just say I had a very hard time getting back up and if I didn't have something to hold on to I would have been screwed lol.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I wish I did have a heated garage but even if I did the truck will not fit

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1flyfisher View Post
    I have been using a really nice brand new Car wash place. They have several bays and a state of the art touchless and/or soft touch brush wash. I don't go through the touchless I just use the bays. The bays have High Pressure Air Guns to dry the vehicle and a Foaming Suds Gun to suds it up. All kinds of sweet features. There are about a dozen rinse settings, I just use high pressure spotless rinse. Also even a raised metal platform (4 steps up) on the sides of 2 bays so you can get the roof of big tall vehicles. I met the owner and he gave me a wash card $20 worth of time. Doesn't mind me drying/detailing/waxing my vehicle in the bay. Well he was talking to me for 1.5 hours while I was doing the KSG and he gave me a wash card while I was talking to him about KSG and he was explaining how the touchless works. In the summer I come late in the evenings or 6 am. Winter it has been slow for the bays. Most folks are using the touchless.

I use 2 buckets. I fill a cooler with hot water and a few 64 oz jugs with hot water. Enough hot water to fill 2 buckets. I squirt an ounce of Meguiar's Gold Class Car Shampoo into a bucket and then blast it with the high pressure water to create suds, maybe filling it 1/4 full. Then I top off with my hot water.

Now that is a car wash

Post Thanks / Like

You might want to try something like the Nomad Portable Washer. I got one on eBay for $45 and it can easily remove all the big stuff before I do ONR.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12