autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

yellow road paint

in my town over the last few weeks the town likes to touch up and repaint some of the road lines and if your not careful it is possible to drive over wet paint. a family member of mine did just that in her silver Mercedes. this is a new one for me and i was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to tackle it. any advice would be a great help.
    respectfully,
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like

Re: yellow road paint

Well it depends on how thick it is. I've had some that were big globs and others that are tiny specs. For the tiny specs I used an aggressive clay and then polished the area. The clay removed it and the polish removed the scratches or marring from the aggressive clay.

Do you by chance have pictures?

Jon
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
    Jon Leidgen

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

no pictures yet i haven't yet seen the car itself she just called me and told me what happened. ill ask her for some pictures or ill take some when i see it.
    Thanks for the advice i appreciate it.

Post Thanks / Like

This happened to my Acura TL about a month ago. I ran over some freshly painted lines pulling out of a parking lot one night. All four of my wheel wells were covered in yellow specks. It also got some on the paint around the wheels, but it was not a lot. Like PAR mentioned, this paint is not what you would typically think of as paint, it was actually thousands of tiny little sticky yellow "specks". It is also designed not to wear off, so as you can imagine, removing it is fun!

I used a claybar to get the specks off the paint, and that turned out not to be a big deal. It came off pretty easily.

The wheel wells, however, were a huge pain because there was so much more paint there and a much tighter space to work in. They also have ridges and spots where the yellow paint got stuck in. Since I didn't want to waste clay, I tried car wash soap, ARO, APC+ diluted and full strength, and each time scrubbed with a wheel well brush. The APC+ full strength seemed to work the best, but it still did very little. Eventually I went to the store and picked up a couple cheap toothbrushes and used them to scrub all the cracks and ridges. As I loosened up the specks, I rinsed frequently with water from a two gallon garden sprayer (I imagine having a pressure washer would be a real advantage here). The annoying thing is that the paint would come off, then stick again as I was spraying water. The process took literally hours, but I got them clean.

Another consideration is that you have to clean up the water and paint around the car that you've removed, or you will drive over it and transfer it right back onto the wheel wells.

Best of luck and hope you have an easier time than I did with it.