autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Need a good tire dressing

I have always liked having my tires with that new satin black look.
    I used armour-all for years and recently went to various other over the counter tire dressings.
    They all seem to last for a few car washes or one drive in the rain.
    Now that I'm on this site every day, I notice lots of comments about superior dressings. Most people seem to have a favorite.
    I normally pay $5-6 over the counter for a spray bottle at the store.
    I don't mind paying the $10-30 for the various ones AG sells, but is there a real difference?
    I need something in a spray bottle or aerosol, since I use it on my truck tires and it's too hard to get a gel or wipe on into the crevices at the edge of the tire tread.
    Do any of them last through a drive in the rain?
    Any suggestions on what to buy?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need a good tire dressing

i use optimum tire shine. works great i spray 2 coats and im good. nice look. it leaves not slimy..
    names tom i live in nj with my wife cindy .and our 3 children. samantha gabriella and little tom...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Al D View Post
    I have always liked having my tires with that new satin black look.
    I used armour-all for years and recently went to various other over the counter tire dressings.
    They all seem to last for a few car washes or one drive in the rain.
    Now that I'm on this site every day, I notice lots of comments about superior dressings. Most people seem to have a favorite.
    I normally pay $5-6 over the counter for a spray bottle at the store.
    I don't mind paying the $10-30 for the various ones AG sells, but is there a real difference?
    I need something in a spray bottle or aerosol, since I use it on my truck tires and it's too hard to get a gel or wipe on into the crevices at the edge of the tire tread.
    Do any of them last through a drive in the rain?
    Any suggestions on what to buy?
    Meguiar's Hyper Dressing. You can use it in a spray bottle and dilute it to your liking.

1:1 high gloss
    2:1 medium gloss
    3:1 satin finish
    4:1 natural finish

Optimum Tire shine is another good one that's sprayable. It's more durable than Hyper Dressing, but you can't dilute it. It gives a bit of a shine, nothing overwhelming.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

i have used Megs All Season Dressing, it did an ok job, it actually made the tire look clean and uniform, but not shiny. just black. I used Stoner's Tire spray and ive had decent results with that. I wonder if a second coat of All season would have worked better. the Stoners is very shiny.

Post Thanks / Like

If you want a spray, I'd go with Optimum tire shine.

Edit:
    It is water based as well and contains no solvents or anything that will brown your tires.
    Last edited by zliegen; 10-21-2010 at 02:45 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zliegen View Post
    If you want a spray, I'd go with Optimum tire shine.
    the origanal is what i use..
    names tom i live in nj with my wife cindy .and our 3 children. samantha gabriella and little tom...

Super Member Wills.WindowsAndWheels's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I like hyper dressing because first of all you can dilute it to whatever sheen you want, and second of all with it being water based you dont end up with gummed up stuff on your tires.

The down side is the same as its upside...its water based...so heavy rain or multiple washes will made the shine dull faster. I use 2:1 most times...i get a good week-10 days and then it starts to fade but since a gallon is about $30...but you can dilute that to a TON of 2:1 32 oz bottles...you really save $ in the long run, so i dont have any problem just hitting it with another coat when its time. Plus I prefer to clean my tires every 10-14 days when possible anyway...so by the time it wears out..im ready to hit em with APC+ anyway.

Optibond is pretty good stuff but its gel so you wouldnt want that. I used All Seasons Dressing a couple times....i liked it but HD is still my go to dressing.

With HD, All Seasons and im sure most sprays...if you spray it on and LEAVE it..you get a super high shine...if you spray it on and let it get to where its ALMOST dry..and then go over it with a MF towel or a foam applicator pad...it gives it that more 'satin' look you were talking about...plus it gives it a more uniform look as well in my experience....but if you like it wet...spray it and leave it..might have to do a couple coats but turns out nice
    Wills - Windows & Wheels Auto Detailing Detailing LLC
    www.WindowsAndWheels.com
    'Like' Us On Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

This is a common question with many answers. I like the new formula DP Tire Gel, Surf City Garage Beyond Black Tire Pro, Optimum Opti-Bond, or Ultima Tire & Trim Guard. Ultima & DP last the longest for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rwright View Post
    This is a common question with many answers. I like the new formula DP Tire Gel, Surf City Garage Beyond Black Tire Pro, Optimum Opti-Bond, or Ultima Tire & Trim Guard. Ultima & DP last the longest for me.
    He's looking for a spray or areosol. To the OP, the ones in bold are good, but they're not sprayable. Only surf City beyond black is sprayable.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 07 z-oh-6 View Post
    He's looking for a spray or areosol. To the OP, the ones in bold are good, but they're not sprayable. Only surf City beyond black is sprayable.
    Yeah, thanks for pointing that out! So out of my list like Mark said, SCG is the only one in a spray bottle. If you decide to use it, spray your tires and do a light wipe down, then let them dry before driving.

I recently used Duragloss #265 Ultimate Detail Spray on my engine and loved it. I will use it on tires next to see how it does. Duragloss offers a few different products for tire dressing and Autogeek carries them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast