autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What do I use to wash before waxing

Finishkare makes a decon kit that will work too.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt_s View Post
    Let me try to explain the issue. There are many different waxes and sealants out there. Isopropyl Alcohol is a solvent that is good for some things and not very good for others. The fairly common alcohols we use and hear about methanol, ethanol and isopropyl alcohol have different solvent properties. Some things dissolve in one but not in another.
    • IPA (rubbing alcohol) tends to be automotive paint and external human body safe, at least with moderate use. It drys pretty quickly. If you spill small amounts on your skin, you will be ok.
    • Methanol is very flammable and poisonous. Not really good on the skin and not good to breath either. I'm not sure how it reacts with automotive paint either.
    • Ethanol. Hmmm. Let's just say that I have better uses for 100+ proof whiskey, gin, rum, tequila or vodka.

IPA might or might not fully solubilize the specific old wax or sealant you are using with a short dwell time, especially as new formulations come to market.

Secondly, some people say that IPA can haze the paint. Whether that is a chemical reaction with the paint or some of the residual wax/sealant/pollutant that once solubilized by the sprayed IPA is now spread across the paint, I don't know. I suspect the later.

Does this mean that IPA isn't beneficial in some cases to remove residual wax/sealant? No. IPA may work great in some instances. A prewax cleaner just offers more consistent, reproducable and measurable benefits.

That being said, I've learned to use IPA after polishing the paint to help remove residual polish, check my work and leave a clean surface. Mike P seems to like 100% mineral spirits (MS) better than IPA for this, at least for some projects. You will find that MS will dissolve stuff that IPA won't touch.

I hope that helps.
    Great post Kurt!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rob T View Post
    Great post Kurt!
    Thanks Rob!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DW C6 View Post
    What product do I wash the car with to remove wax and sealant before reapplying?
    I always wash using a recommended car wash product. These will generally do a nice job dissolving contaminates allowing them to float off the finish when rinsed.

Removing Wax and Sealant

All topical products begin to degrade as soon as they're applied. The sun, wind, and rain, over time will cause these coatings to naturally evaporate. How long ago was the sealant and wax applied?

Finish Condition

The paints condition is also an important factor to take into consideration. If correction is needed then this in itself will remove residual coatings.

Washing then claying will remove embedded particles as well as any sealant or wax. An IPA wipe down will also dissolve sealants and waxes.

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12