autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

kerosene ghost marks?

Recently, a friend showed his black car to me. He had washed it and removed asphalt using kerosene. He followed it up with wax (I believe pure carnauba) after rinsing it off again with water and shampoo. Problem is, there now seems to be white ghost marks all over the black paint. They become visible when out in sunlight.

Did the kerosene cause this? Or the fact that he used wax after? I tried using pure yellow wax to remove it but it wasn't that effective. Next, I tried using a P&S Full Throttle step 2 polish with cleaners and this seemed to work in removing the ghost marks though I wasn't that satisfied with the outcome. All this I did by hand using a plush MF towel. I had the experience of using kerosene to remove asphalt on a black car before but did not encounter this issue.

What do you think is the best remedy for this? Or do I just continue using the polish but machine-apply it instead?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: kerosene ghost marks?

Have you tried to clay it before polishing?

Post Thanks / Like

Nope. Just washed the test area with water and shampoo. Then yellow wax. When it wasn't that effective, I proceeded to the polish.

Post Thanks / Like

Did he wash the car after taking kerosene to it or did you go right to wax?
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    Did he wash the car after taking kerosene to it or did you go right to wax?
    yep, he washed it with shampoo and water after doing the kerosene. after that, he waxed it. i was able too see the car after all these - a day after.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blue DX View Post
    Next, I tried using a P&S Full Throttle step 2 polish with cleaners and this seemed to work in removing the ghost marks though I wasn't that satisfied with the outcome.

What do you think is the best remedy for this?
    Why were you unsatisfied with the outcome if the marks were removed? Remedy for what? We're trying to help you but you're not giving us much to go on.

Post Thanks / Like

DX,

Any chance you can capture a picture or two?

I've used kerosene often to all but bathe the wife's BLACK Subaru (she went thru a recent seal-coat job) and after a 'wash/wax' touch up, all was good.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Why were you unsatisfied with the outcome if the marks were removed? Remedy for what? We're trying to help you but you're not giving us much to go on.
    @setec: my apologies if my question came across as unclear. unsatisfied in the sense that after applying the polish by hand, the paint seemed "lifeless". and that technique didn't seem to be that "quick" in removing the ghost marks. that's why i'm asking if there is a best practice for this kind of concern.

Quote Originally Posted by BillE View Post
    DX,

Any chance you can capture a picture or two?

I've used kerosene often to all but bathe the wife's BLACK Subaru (she went thru a recent seal-coat job) and after a 'wash/wax' touch up, all was good.

Bill
    @billE: sorry i wasn't able to take pictures of my friend's car. generally looks as if the black paint has become a bit "pale" or clouded when out in the sun. i have had the chance of personally using kerosene on a black car before but no issues came up. this is actually the first time someone brought in vehicle with something like this.

Mike Phillips

Stains are either topical or they've penetrated into the paint. With clear coats, they are usually topical and with single stage paints they then to penetrate inward.

The cure is the same and that is to abrade the paint using either a light paint cleaner to all all out compound.

Could be that even a cleaner/wax will undo the damage but it sounds like a staining issue.

a non-cleaning wax, in other words a pure wax won't do the job and it sounds like you might need something more aggressive than the P&S Full Throttle Step 2 Polish.

What else do you have for compounds, polishes and paint cleaners?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Stains are either topical or they've penetrated into the paint. With clear coats, they are usually topical and with single stage paints they then to penetrate inward.

The cure is the same and that is to abrade the paint using either a light paint cleaner to all all out compound.

Could be that even a cleaner/wax will undo the damage but it sounds like a staining issue.

a non-cleaning wax, in other words a pure wax won't do the job and it sounds like you might need something more aggressive than the P&S Full Throttle Step 2 Polish.

What else do you have for compounds, polishes and paint cleaners?

His car's paint is clear coated. Even if the stain is topical, abrasion is still needed? Is it best if i use a machine instead of just "bare hands"? The polisher I have is a Makita 9227C by the way.

Hmm... I don't have much chemicals at my disposal at the moment. For paint, aside from the P&S Polish, I currently have a 21st Element Sapphire Cleaning Compound (step 1) and a Turtle Cleaner Wax (stored and untouched for several months already). Well, I also do have Calibre Synthetic Sealant and some Yellow Wax but they don't serve the purpose of cleaning/abrading.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast