autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Old Classic Car Paint Correction

So my neighbor just got an old Classic Car. The paint has a little oxidization on the roof and some minor swirling and water spots on the paint. Other than that paint is in pretty good condition...

I just got done giving it a wash and it looks a lot better already all cleaned up but I showed him the swirls and has minor scratches in the clear up front that I am pretty sure I can get out.

What I have to work with

Griots DA
    M105 and M205 and HD UNO Yellow, Orange, White, Green, Red LC Pads

I am not sure if there is clear coat on this car due to its age. So my first test is going to be to take a MF towel put a Polish on it and rub it on the car and see if there is any paint transfer. If there is paint transfer there is obviously no clear coat and I have to approach this a different way. If there isn't paint transfer I will assume there is clear coat and I can just go about this the usual way.

IF there isn't clear coat can the paint still be polished? If so do I have to go about it a different route.

What I planned on doing is:

Wash (Citrus Guys Soap Concentraded to remove any Wax)
    Clay Bar (With a mild clay bar to remove contaminents)
    Polish Orange or Yellow Pad with M105
    Polish White or Green Pad M205
    Follow up with a Wax

Any help or input on this job or my step by step plan if needs any changing all the information I could get would be great!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Old Classic Car Paint Correction

Hand glaze #7 and let soak on the paint 24 hrs if its a solid no clear

Do a search in this forum Mike had a great article on mig #7
    and old paint correction

Post Thanks / Like

Can a single stage paint have swirls in it though. This car had minor swirling all over it! Does that mean there was clear in it? Also stained water spots. I was reading on Megs #7 and its a glaze that will put the oils back into the paint to help with oxidization but what can I do to remove swirls and water spots.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Toymachine2009 View Post
    Can a single stage paint have swirls in it though. This car had minor swirling all over it! Does that mean there was clear in it? Also stained water spots. I was reading on Megs #7 and its a glaze that will put the oils back into the paint to help with oxidization but what can I do to remove swirls and water spots.
    Of course a Single Stage paint job can have swirls in it. Swirls are just fine scratches.

Do you know how old the paint is?

Can you post some close up shots of the paint showing the swirls and oxidation?

How much was paid for the car? Not trying to be nosy, just trying to get an idea of what we might be dealing with.

Post Thanks / Like

He does not know any history on the paint. I asked if this was original paint and he said he didnt know. He said if it was they did a good job because all door jams are painted and under the hood is painted.

But he is unsure if that is original paint or not. I can post some shots when I get a chance. Not sure how much was paid for the car I did not ask.

Its really not that badly oxidized as much as swirls IMO.

It seems like it has a clear to me but what do I know. I will do the test to see if it has it or not.

Post Thanks / Like

Read this article, written by AG's Mike Phillips.
    AutoTraderClassics.com - Article Restoring Single Stage Paint: Part 1
    It's a long read and a rather involved process, but it just flat works. Polish first and buff later sounds contrary to everything I ever knew about paint reconditioning, but "feeding" old single-stage paint with the high oil content of Meguiar's #7, then buffing afterwards with Meguiar's M80 made a big difference in my case.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BillyJack View Post
    Read this article, written by AG's Mike Phillips.
    AutoTraderClassics.com - Article Restoring Single Stage Paint: Part 1
    It's a long read and a rather involved process, but it just flat works. Polish first and buff later sounds contrary to everything I ever knew about paint reconditioning, but "feeding" old single-stage paint with the high oil content of Meguiar's #7, then buffing afterwards with Meguiar's M80 made a big difference in my case.

Bill

Be warned, the above process is very involved and time consuming, but for this type of car, I would say that Mike's method is the way to go.

Post Thanks / Like

so let me see if I understand this. Correct me if I am wrong please.

Very First thing Clay bar!
    2nd thing before using any type of abrasive polish or anything is Megs #7 to recondition and put oils back in the dried out paint correct?

Then after you have it reconditioned try to take out swirls with a light abrasive polish?

I understand the removing oxidizing and faded look to a much more glossier shine but this didnt say how to remove swirls.

Post Thanks / Like

There's a little more to the process, but you have the basics. Take the time to read Mike's articles thoroughly if you haven't yet and you'll be ready to roll. I know it sounds strange, but it definitely will work wonders on old, aged single stage paint. I didn't have any major correction to do, but I would still save the abrasive action until the paint was loaded with oil from the #7. You'll know you're there when the #7 just sits on top, and isn't getting absorbed into the paint. For me it took one application that soaked in overnight, then 3 more with only about an hour or less of soak time. i actually did one more #7 application after buffing.
    I tried numerous polishes, compounds and glazes on the silver roof of my El Camino roof with no success. After following Mike's process I entered a local all-Chevy show and took first in class!

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Okay.. I will forsure do a couple of applications of Megs #7 even though the paint isnt really THAT oxidized.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast