autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Polish/ Pad combinations

Been doing some experimenting with my machines polishes and pads. I spend way too much time finding the right set up on my details. When i think I got it down pat the next car is different.

I use a makita rotary and a PCXP.
    I have LC CCS pads in yellow, orange, white, grey, blue and red.

Currently I have 4 Menzerna Polishes.

Powergloss, Super Intense Polish, Super finish and 85rd

I try to go white with super finish...not good enough so do i go orange /super finish or do I go white/SIP/POWERGLOSS?

I havnt figured out if I should be changing my pad or polish if Im not getting the results I want...

on a side note Im really not that impressed with the menzerna line. its not very user friendly. Ive gotten good results but its not an easy polish to use. I got the technique down just lack the experience with these polishes/ pads to really get a strong feel.
    Kris R
    360detail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Polish/ Pad combinations

Quote Originally Posted by Kris R View Post
    Been doing some experimenting with my machines polishes and pads. I spend way too much time finding the right set up on my details. When i think I got it down pat the next car is different.

I try to go white with super finish...not good enough so do i go orange /super finish or do I go white/SIP/POWERGLOSS?

I havnt figured out if I should be changing my pad or polish if Im not getting the results I want...

on a side note Im really not that impressed with the menzerna line. its not very user friendly. Ive gotten good results but its not an easy polish to use. I got the technique down just lack the experience with these polishes/ pads to really get a strong feel.
    Orange is too abrasive for a polish...i use either a white pad or a green pad...usually white with super intensive and green with a finishing polish...the menzerna line is the best out there in terms of polishes IYMO

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by artofdetailing View Post
    Orange is too abrasive for a polish...i use either a white pad or a green pad...usually white with super intensive and green with a finishing polish...the menzerna line is the best out there in terms of polishes IYMO
    I like 3M polishes a little better. And Ive used some Prima that was very good as well...
    Kris R
    360detail.com

Mike Phillips

What are you trying to do with the SF and White Polishing pad and which tool are you using them with?

Just the opposite of my experience with the polishes, I find they are super easy to work with, all kinds of factors can affect user experience, so that's why there's a wide range of experiences...

Post Thanks / Like

That's interesting because I find the entire Menzerna line to be some of the finest easy to use products I've ever worked with. I still use the Meguiar's twins; M105 & M205, as well as Wolfgang swirl removers but Menzerna is my go-to for paint correction.

They're not inexpensive by any means but they perform well with my rotary and DA polisher.

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

As I understand things: yellow is for "polishing" concrete (I'm joking but it's for compound & should be used carefully & sparingly), orange pads are primarily for compounds & paint correction, white pads are for the polishing process. I have used gray pads w/ Menzerna 85rd (but I prefer the crimson hydro pads w/Menzerna- and Menzerna 85 is a great product), the blue pad & red pads are almost interchangeable when using sealants or waxes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    What are you trying to do with the SF and White Polishing pad and which tool are you using them with?

Just the opposite of my experience with the polishes, I find they are super easy to work with, all kinds of factors can affect user experience, so that's why there's a wide range of experiences...

Well I did a black mercury cougar a while back. unbelievable swirls. did the entire car with Super finish and a white pad. came out 99 perfect flawless. Now Im messing around with an old red pickup truck thats in the bay at work. Im thinking these "swirls" are more like a million deep scratches. Ive used wool and every pad and polish i have and im only getting about 75 percent out. Same story with my white 95 accord....

Newer cars, no problem....old cars =issues...

As far as menzerna not being user friendly Im talking about rotary and the polish not staying "wet" for more than a couple passes...Yes im priming the pad. It just doesnt seem to have much of a working time. Gets dry and dusty on me quick. and some times its murder to get the residue off.
    Kris R
    360detail.com