autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Some assistance please

Hello folks. I'm new here. This is my first post. I've been doing a lot of reading on this forum and have learned quite a bit. The more I read the more confused and the bigger headache I get from all this info.

For starters I will only be working on both my vehicles and perhaps a few friends and family. In the future I plan on doing this as business.

I have a 2008 Corvette CRM (Crystal Red Mettalic). The paint is in very good condition besides the swirl marks and some minor scratches. As a matter of fact the color of my Vette is the same color that is on Mike's Pay Per View video. That vette turned out AWESOME! Any idea what products was used on that car? I would love to have a nice deep shine like that. My car is pretty shiny from using Zaino, but no where near like the Vette in the video.

I also have a 2004 Honda Civic which is somewhat a darker color than my Vette (Maroon with metallic in the paint. It has light to moderate scratches on it.

I'm thinking of ordering the Wolfgang FLEX XC3401 Concours Polishing Kit located here
    Wolfgang FLEX XC3401 Polishing & Swirl Remover Kit, wolfgang polishes, flex buffer, menzerna, lake country
    or the Wolfgang Porter Cable 7424XP located here Wolfgang Porter Cable 7424 Swirl-Free Kit

As I went through the site I noticed the Wolgang Fuzion, the Pinnalce Souveran. I would love to use the Fuzion for durability. Then of course I need to get some LC pads. In addition to the pads that come with the kit, any recommendations on additional pads?

I have never used a DA polisher before but I think I can learn it fairly quickly. I have only used Zaino on my 2008 Vette and 2004 Honda Accord. But I want to try something different and I think the Wolfgang product's will be a good place to start for me.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Palani

Mike Phillips

Re: Some assistance please

Hi Frank,

Hang on...

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Palani!

The products you mention are definitely great choices. I have the 3401 and love it. I'm also very happy with every WG product I've tried.

I would go with the Flex 3401 and the Wolfgang products.
    Pads for correction, polishing and finishing: I prefer the LC Hydro Tech pads.
    For application of LSP I prefer to ge either by hand or with a LC flat blue pad (depending on lsp).

Something important to note: What really makes a difference in how great your paint looks is the polishing of your paint. Have you done any reading on the polishes offered? Before you polish you will most likely want to clay the vehicle. Do a search and you'll find more on claying the paint.
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Palani View Post

I have a 2008 Corvette CRM (Crystal Red Metallic). The paint is in very good condition besides the swirl marks and some minor scratches.

I also have a 2004 Honda Civic which is somewhat a darker color than my Vette (Maroon with metallic in the paint. It has light to moderate scratches on it.

I'm thinking of ordering the Wolfgang FLEX XC3401 Concours Polishing Kit located here
    Wolfgang FLEX XC3401 Polishing & Swirl Remover Kit, wolfgang polishes, flex buffer, menzerna, lake country
    or the Wolfgang Porter Cable 7424XP located here Wolfgang Porter Cable 7424 Swirl-Free Kit
    Either of those kits will work on both the Corvette and the Honda and just about anything else that shows up in your garage.

Modern Corvettes consistently have pretty hard clear coats on them and so to remove below surface defects you usually need a product with a little muscle... a popular product for this is the Meguiar's M105 Ultra Cut Compound. It will work with both the Flex 3401 and/or the Porter Cable 7424XP

I have an article here that goes through all the machine polishers and gives them a ranking according to "ease of use", maybe give it a read...

How to choose the right polisher for your detailing project

Here's a couple of videos where you can see each of the different tools turned on and briefly used to give you an idea of what they look like and sound like in action.

An overview with demonstrations of the Porter Cable 7424XP, Meguiar's G110v2, Griot's Garage 6" Random Orbital Polisher, Griot's Garage 3" Mini Polisher, Flex 3401, Flex 603, Flex 3403, Cyclo Polisher, Makita 9227C, DeWalt 849,

Part 1 - How To Pick the Right Car Polisher for your Detail Project
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtrdTvnZX3I]YouTube - Part 1 - How To Pick the Right Car Polisher for your Detail Project[/video]

Part 2 - How To Pick the Right Car Polisher for your Detail Project
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k92m5cJxCk]YouTube - Part 2 - How To Pick the Right Car Polisher for your Detail Project[/video]

As I went through the site I noticed the Wolfgang Fuzion, the Pinnacle Souveran. I would love to use the Fuzion for durability. Then of course I need to get some LC pads. In addition to the pads that come with the kit, any recommendations on additional pads?
    Wait till you decide upon a polisher as that will in part determine your pads...

I have never used a DA polisher before but I think I can learn it fairly quickly. I have only used Zaino on my 2008 Vette and 2004 Honda Accord.
    The Porter Cable style DA Polishers are the easiest tool there is to learn and master and in the right hands can tackle just about any detailing project that comes your way.

This article pretty much explains it all...

The Free Floating Spindle Assembly - The Story Behind The Story...

I abuse this picture a lot but it's a real picture of my son using a G100 at the time in one of my classes showing my students how easy it is to use to machine applying wax to the Batmobile...

Photo courtesy of LacViet Photography

But I want to try something different and I think the Wolfgang product's will be a good place to start for me.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Palani
    The Wolfgang products are by far the easiest products to use and get consistent show car results that will hold up to scrutiny under the most intense inspection. Long buffing cycle, easy wipe off, no micro-marring.

Wrote an article about them here...

The Wolfgang Twins

And proof you can do!

Proof You Can Do It! - Joe The Detailer - Black Porsche Turned into Black Pearl!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by CEE DOG View Post

I would go with the Flex 3401 and the Wolfgang products.
    Pads for correction, polishing and finishing: I prefer the LC Hydro Tech pads.
    For application of LSP I prefer to ge either by hand or with a LC flat blue pad (depending on lsp).

Something important to note: What really makes a difference in how great your paint looks is the polishing of your paint. Have you done any reading on the polishes offered? Before you polish you will most likely want to clay the vehicle. Do a search and you'll find more on claying the paint.

If you go with the Wolfgang Twins, I would recommend the 16 ounce bottles, some of the kits come with 8 ounce bottles and you're going to love the results you get with these product and regret not having more.

And going point about claying Cory...

From my article list...

Using Detailing Clay
    The Baggie Test - How to inspect for above surface bonded contaminants

The 2 primary benefits of using detailing clay to clay paint

Tips and Tricks for using detailing clay

Do I need to wash my car after I use detailing clay to clay the paint?

How often do I need to clay my car?