autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How many section passes do you get with 105?

I polished my black vette with 105/205 today.

I used cyan and burgundy HD pads on my FLEX.

I'm still learning how to use 105 correctly and one thing i noticed today was how short the work time seemed with 105. I've read before it flashes very fast.

My question is. Since i was using an X pattern on my pad once the pad was fully primed....How many section passes did you get out of 105? I found myself literally getting 1-2 full passes over the area before the product was virtually gone.

When with 205 you can keep going till you get sick. I found myself taking twice the time with 205 simply because the product had such a longer working time.

The car came out great. But by no means is the finish scratch free. it is MUCH improved though.

Thanks for any input.

-Rez

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How many section passes do you get with 105?

2-3. Try Meguiars Ultimate Compound. Just below the cut of M105, but MUCH more user friendly.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Rez90 View Post

I'm still learning how to use 105 correctly and one thing i noticed today was how short the work time seemed with 105. I've read before it flashes very fast.
    Somewhere on this forum, shortly after SEMA last year, I posted that I was surprised that after all the feedback posted to all the forums about the short buffing cycle for M105, and the dusting problem, I posted I was surprised that Meguiar's didn't introduce M105 2.0

Maybe we'll see Meguiar's introduce a new and improved version this year at SEMA?

Or maybe there will just be a rolling change... whatever... but will so much feedback on the issues with M105 I would expect to see a formula change sometime in the future that will give the product what everyone's been asking for...

• Longer buffing cycle
    • Wetter product

My question is. Since i was using an X pattern on my pad once the pad was fully primed....How many section passes did you get out of 105? I found myself literally getting 1-2 full passes over the area before the product was virtually gone.
    That would depend upon how large of a section you're working at one time. The larger the section, the less "Section Passes" you can get because while you're off buffing one area of the section the film of product in the area not getting "worked" will be drying up.

Anytime you have a problem with ANY product drying up o your for any reason, try shrinking your work area downward. See this article for some more info and technques...

Tips for working in warm/hot weather or direct sunlight

When with 205 you can keep going till you get sick. I found myself taking twice the time with 205 simply because the product had such a longer working time.
    M205 has a buffing cycle or what I like to call play time that everyone wishes M105 would offer.

The car came out great. But by no means is the finish scratch free. it is MUCH improved though.

Thanks for any input.

-Rez

Good to hear....

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

When with 205 you can keep going till you get sick. I found myself taking twice the time with 205 simply because the product had such a longer working time

Just because it has a longer working time doesn't mean you work it till it's dry. 205 uses non-diminishing abrassives (SMAT) and will keep cutting unlike other polishes which you need to break down.
    Try priming the whole pad with 105 and add a few drops as needed.

Post Thanks / Like

3 pea size dots(m105/205), with 6 section passes. My car has soft paint and I could get away with 4(product starts to clear up by four passes), but I always do six passes. I quickly spread the product in a 12x12 or 16x16 with 2 section passes on speed 5, then slow down the passes for 6 additonal passes. It works really well for me.

I'm also in the habit of doing six passes when applying wax. I'm sure 2 or 3 is plenty, but I want it thin. oh I use Groits DA.

Post Thanks / Like

With a rotary i get 2 to 3 passes depending on the size of the work area. DA i get 3 to 4.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post

Just because it has a longer working time doesn't mean you work it till it's dry. 205 uses non-diminishing abrassives (SMAT) and will keep cutting unlike other polishes which you need to break down.
    I think this is why it's hard to finish perfectly(on soft paint) with 205 because you really need to know when to stop polishing.
    Last edited by WRAPT C5Z06; 09-04-2010 at 08:03 PM.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Or maybe there will just be a rolling change... whatever... but will so much feedback on the issues with M105 I would expect to see a formula change sometime in the future that will give the product what everyone's been asking for...

• Longer buffing cycle
    • Wetter product

Quote Originally Posted by 07 z-oh-6 View Post
    I think this is why it's hard to finish perfectly(on soft paint) with 205 because you really need to know when to stop polishing.
    Wow, after posting pics of my Honda and asking for suggestions, I was recommended 105 and 205 by a lot of people on here, even after many comments about how soft the paint is. Now I'm thinking I might have wasted my money by buying a quart of each after asking how much I would need. Guess being new I have a lot to learn and will end up with a bunch of products drying up on the shelf.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by S2K View Post
    [/LIST]

Wow, after posting pics of my Honda and asking for suggestions, I was recommended 105 and 205 by a lot of people on here, even after many comments about how soft the paint is. Now I'm thinking I might have wasted my money by buying a quart of each after asking how much I would need. Guess being new I have a lot to learn and will end up with a bunch of products drying up on the shelf.
    105 and 205 are extremely popular, they just have a learning curve. However, many will say it's hard to finish marr free on soft paint with 205. You'll usually have to follow with Menz 85rd or something similar. I, *personally* like to use dimishing abrasives on my second and third steps when working with soft paint.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast