autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How to Remove Sealant from Pads.

Anybody got any advise on how to remove sealant from pads. I tried xmt pad spray and plenty of rinsing to no avail.

Super Member ObsessiveAutoDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to Remove Sealant from Pads.

I use Megs APC+, spray a little on and let it dwell for a few, then rinse.
    Josh Bachman
    Obsessive Auto & Marine Detail
    www.obsessiveautodetail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Dawn Power dissolver
    "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." Lincoln's First Annual Message to Congress, December 3, 1861.

Newport, Oregon USA!

Post Thanks / Like

Great question, I've had the same issue.

Mike Phillips

It is a problem but the harder it is to remove a wax or paint sealant out of any kind of buffing pad is an indicator as to how tough the protection ingredients are as they are water and detergent/chemical resistant.

Whichever chemical you go with to try to dissolve, emulsify, break-down and release the wax out of the pad it's going to work best if you physically squish the pad with your hands when you're working the cleaning agent into the pad and when you're trying to work the entire mess out of the pad.

Someone on this forum I know I've discussed this at length, probably a search using the term,

detergent-resistant

with the hyphen will find a few threads.

Super Member ObsessiveAutoDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Not to start an argument here, but Dawn Power Dissolver contains MEA (Monoethanolamine), which is the main ingredient in most oven cleaner products, also is a mild paint stripper. IF you do decide to use it, make sure you have removed it completely from your applicator. I would also question how harsh it would be on applicator pads....
    Josh Bachman
    Obsessive Auto & Marine Detail
    www.obsessiveautodetail.com

Post Thanks / Like

That is a really great question. Oddly enough, I just logged on and was going to ask the exact same thing due to my frustrations of cleaning a red ccs pad after us WG DGPS. Its a royal pain in the a** to clean. All the other pads have come out not to bad. Just out of curiosity, I wonder if the pad washer system would make a difference? I somehow doubt it, but just curious.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Gungho_15 View Post
    Just out of curiosity, I wonder if the pad washer system would make a difference? I somehow doubt it, but just curious.
    I think I've posted the ramifications for using a pad wash to clean wax and sealant pads somewhere, maybe a Super Sleuth can find it?

Suffice to say a pad washer like the Grit Guard Universal Pad wash works really well fro cleaning the surface of the pad and also the inside of the pad due to the squeegee effect of the Grit Guard Extension, (that's the little Grit Guard that you place on top of the normal Grit Guard Grill), as you run a pad over it.

From this thread,

Meguiar's Double Sided 100% Wool Cutting Pad

Inside are 4 spring loaded water cups and a Grit Guard Insert, (yellow component), and a Grit Guard Extension, (little black component in the middle of yellow Grit Guard Insert).

Note you can move the small insert to other places on the face of the Grit Guard Grill. I will usually place the Insert over the top of one of the spring loaded water cups for small pads.

Of course your cleaning solution is a huge factor. I tend to always grab the DP Polishing Pad Rejuvenator which is citrus based.

Citrus Based Pad Cleaning Solution

The thing you need to consider is that you don't want to remove non-water soluble ingredients off your buffing pads if you're going to be cleaning compounding and polishing pads later with the same pad washer unless you plan on changing the water as to some degree you'll be introducing these protection ingredients to your compound and polishing pads.

It's not a huge deal but some people are very D.O. on forums and about detailing so I just want to point this out.

In a perfect world, you start your detailing session by compounding and polishing and then move to waxing or sealing, so cross-contaminating your water wouldn't be a problem just be sure to wash your bucket out after each detailing session which is a good practice anyways as pad washing water can get very vile smelling with age...

Mike Phillips

Related is a video we made on how the Grit Guard Universal Pad Washer works...

Show Car Garage Video: How to use the Grit Guard Universal Pad Washer

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the quick reply Mike. I have read almost every single one of your threads. That takes a long time.

I just find with the red pad and the sealant, it soaks right through to the backing plate. I do use the DP Pad Cleaner, but it doesn't make a dent in DGPS. I have to wring the pad out and sealant comes out of it..lol. I am wondering if i should just seal it in a ziplock back and not worry about trying to clean it out. It took me almost an hour last time to get the sucker clean!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast