autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

How do you detail your engine?

How do you detail your engine? I noticed the DP engine cleaner on the BOGO and have it in my "cart" but I'm apprehensive about harming the engine. Also I have the Dayton Speed Master wheel brush that I use on my chrome wheels and I'm worried about cross contamination. Once I use it on the engine is it still safe to use on the rims? Can the Speed Master be cleaned and made safe? Any tips, opinions, and tricks would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How do you detail your engine?

i spray my engine down with p21s taw . then agitate with one of my wheel brushes if needed then rinse. . then i clean my tools with water. never had a proble useing the same brushes on my wheels as my engine.even if its different chemicals..
    names tom i live in nj with my wife cindy .and our 3 children. samantha gabriella and little tom...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trhland View Post
    i spray my engine down with p21s taw . then agitate with one of my wheel brushes if needed then rinse. . then i clean my tools with water. never had a problem using the same brushes on my wheels as my engine.even if its different chemicals..
    I agree with Tom, Like always make sure your tools are cleaned before storing and there should be no problem. If you get heavy contamination you could always clean your brush with an APC. I use the Amazing rolloff product for engine cleaning, works great and leaves behind a nice gloss. Thanks SRHTX Stephen!
    "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." Lincoln's First Annual Message to Congress, December 3, 1861.

Newport, Oregon USA!

Post Thanks / Like

After I cleaned my engine with ARO my EZ detial brush was very gunky. I sprayed it with ARO and rinsed. Then sprayed it again with ARO and let it sit on the driveway for a few minutes. Then I rubbed my gloved hand over the brush and rinsed it off. Really as good as new!
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

I know how you feel about harming the engine. Its not something I've ever been able to do. Spraying water on something covered by a hood and protected by splash guards underneath (meaning its not supposed to get wet) just doesn't seem right.

So has anyone here ever damaged anything by detailing your engine? With miles and miles of wiring, sensors, and ECUs on today's cars...it scares me to be spraying water under the hood. And it's impossible to cover all that stuff, or "miss" them...it's EVERYWHERE. At least on my car it is.

When I detail my engine, I just use an older microfiber towel and some APC, and give the rubber and plastic some meguiars hyper dressing. Looks pretty good to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Next time I see my mechanic, I'm going to ask him how he feels about engine cleaning, because I just can't bring myself to spray under the hood either, even though I know it's not going to hurt anything.
    Shane
    2021 Honda Civic Hatchback EX Lunar Silver

Post Thanks / Like

When I worked in a shop and we had to do major work on an engine that had been leaking for years we would take it to the self-serve car wash, spray it with Gunk engine degreaser and then go to town with the pressure washer. I never had one not run after and no problems. I would just stay away from carbs, alternators, distributors and try not to blast wire connectors. I think it's safe to spray an engine with water as long as you are careful as where you spray.

Post Thanks / Like

look under your hood one time after a trip on a rainy day. you'll be suprised how wet it is under there. though not waterproof they are very water resistant. just use common sense when rinsing and you'll be fine. ive used a powerwasher for years now to clean engine bays and of the thousands ive done i cant even recall a handful that had problems, and even those fired up as soon as they were dry. another option is to let the motor run while you rinse it and leave it run till dry.