autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Applying Abrasive Paper and Machine Polisher to Paint!

After much reading, asking dumb questions, more reading and watching lots of videos, I have applied abrasive paper and rotary machine to car. Although I know I can not equal the quality of work that could have achieved from a professional, I am quite satisfied with the results. Another factor is the closest professional I could trust is 140 miles away.

The car is a 1965 GT-350 Shelby Mustang, painted with lacquer in 1980. It has spent most of its life in a garage under a cover. This year I decided to make it look better. (Actually, I was cleaning the engine bay and spilled a fairly nasty chemical on the top of the fender. Took some rubbing compound to it, should have left it alone. The clean area was motivation enough).

What I am doing so far:
    1) Clay bar using Griot Speed Shine.
    2) Mask the work area,
    3) Wet sand, starting with 2000 then 2500 and finishing with 3000 an approximate 20 by 20 area. (One half of a door on a 65 Mustang)
    4) Using the Snap-On Rotary, going over the car with generous quantity of M105, three times.
    5) Using a Griot DA and a Griot orange pad, going over it with 205, twice.
    Wiping down the panel and breathing a big sigh of relief that I (so far) didn’t screw it up.

So, what now? Do I use a sealant? Normally I would just apply my trusty Meg. #26 wax. Do I need to go over it again with 3M Ultrafine? I have a bottle of Griot Machine Polish #3 and a waxing pad.

Another question: How do I deal with the areas where it is almost impossible to get to with a buffer? One of the photos shows the area behind the drivers door that apparently is heavily orange peeled. I was going to sand with 3000 and hand finish.
    Sorry for all the dumb questions, sure is a lot different from building engines.
    Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Applying Abrasive Paper and Machine Polisher to Paint!-011a-jpg   Applying Abrasive Paper and Machine Polisher to Paint!-001-jpg   Applying Abrasive Paper and Machine Polisher to Paint!-006a-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Applying Abrasive Paper and Machine Polisher to Paint!

That's looks really good. It looks glassy now. Nice work. I don't know that I would go with the Step 3 from Griots. That may be a step back from M205. You are probably good with applying a sealant at this point.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Applying Abrasive Paper and Machine Polisher to Paint!

Very nice! I'll come help you finish making the car look good if you come teach me how to build engines!!!!

I haven't used 3M Ultrafine but heard it works with Rotary use.
    With a DA I would go over it with Menzerna PO85RD.
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care