autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clay bars

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Red face Clay bars

I'm sure this has been covered here before. Unfortunately I'm an old guy newB who's pretty search function challenged. First - How do you determine when your clay bar is too contaminated to use? Second - Is there a cleaning method to render them reusable when they get too contaminated? The Two Guys Garage segments are well done and very helpful. Ric

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Clay bars

Welcome to AutoGeek!!

If you drop the clay on the ground then you should toss it.
    If you pick up something off the paint with the clay that is actually as large as a fragment I would pick it off the clay before refolding.
    As you use the clay and continuously refold it you will come to the point where it doesn't look great any more.
    At that point you can retire it from the paint use and use it for areas like glass, etc.
    Once they get even dirtier then its off to the trashcan.
    You can not clean the clay.
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

I would only add to consider cutting clay bar into two pieces (bigger bars) or buy the multi packs. If you drop it or feel its too dirty, toss it and grab a new one.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek View Post
    I would only add to consider cutting clay bar into two pieces (bigger bars) or buy the multi packs. If you drop it or feel its too dirty, toss it and grab a new one.
    I have been very stingy with my clay portions in the past. I probably break them up a little too much.

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Just a little suggestion when using a clay bar. If you lay a towel on the ground below the area you are working on it might save you from having to throw it away if it drops.

The first time I used a clay bar on the first swipe it was so slippery that it flew onto the ground. Nothing like throwing away a brand new bar.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CEE DOG View Post
    I have been very stingy with my clay portions in the past. I probably break them up a little too much.
    Ditto ^ I cut my Riccardo into 6 pieces
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by GRUMPN View Post
    I'm sure this has been covered here before. Unfortunately I'm an old guy newB who's pretty search function challenged. First - How do you determine when your clay bar is too contaminated to use?
    Another way to think about this would be...

After washing your car and you feel the paint, if it doesn't feel like #40 Grit Sandpaper, or like concrete, that's a pretty good indicator that it's not "super" horrific contaminated and therefor won't fill up your clay bar with contaminants as fast as a finish on a car that is parked outside 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and hasn't had any appearance maintenance for 15 years.

See the difference?

Here's another example, my dad owns a 1965 Ford Thunderbird Convertible and my best friend owns a 1956 Ford Thunderbird Convertible, both cars are parked inside garages 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The only time they are driven is on sunny days to car shows. For these reasons, they paint never gets very contaminated and if either owner clays the paint the clay bar won't become very contaminated.

Now if they clay their work trucks, (both guys are Ford guys and have Ford F150s that are parked outside all the time), the clay bars used on the trucks will fill with contaminants much faster and therefore not last as long.

So you can gauge how contaminated your clay bar will become by gaging how contaminated the paint is to start with, this is just a "Big Picture" method of measuring but hopefully the point makes sense.

Besides that, common sense is what I use... when claying a cars finish, if the clay looks visibly contaminated, and I knew before I started that the paint felt like #40 grit sandpaper, then I know the clay bar is going to be loaded with contaminants and should be replaced before working on any future projects.

Second - Is there a cleaning method to render them reusable when they get too contaminated? The Two Guys Garage segments are well done and very helpful. Ric
    There is no way to clean clay to make it resusable. Great idea! Just not sure the technology exists and even if it did it would be less expensive to just buy new clay.

Also for any lurkers, there's the Two Guys Videos and then there's the extended version we filmed here at Autogeek's Show Car Garage...

How to use detailing clay to remove "Above Surface Bonded Contaminants" and restore a smooth as silk surface.

Part 1 - How To Use Detailing Clay
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfxAesk4Po4]YouTube - Part 1 - How to use detailing clay[/video]

Part 2 - How To Use Detailing Clay
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opfK408uIxM]YouTube - Part 2 - How to use detailing clay[/video]

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

WOW!!!! Fast and complete. Thanks One of the answers brought out another question. When used on glass what do I use for a lubricant? Same as paint? Thanks again Ric

Post Thanks / Like

WOW!!!! Fast and complete. Thanks One of the answers brought out another question. When used on glass what do I use for a lubricant? Same as paint? Thanks again Ric
    You got it. same thing. I use ONR (old formula) haven't tried the new one.

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Same lube as I use on the body > H2O
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast