autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: New Rav4

Post Thanks / Like

New Rav4

Hey Mike (& others), bought a new black, 2010, Rav4 today. To get this thing off on the right track- what do I do? The obvious thing to me would be to check it w/ my Brinkman light, but assuming it's in good shape, what should be a first step? Leave it for a couple of weeks? Put Wolfgang sealant on it? Put a coat of Pinnacle wax?

Mike Phillips

Re: New Rav4

The first thing to do would be after washing and drying the car to remove any loose surface dirt, the next thing you want to do is to feel the paint to inspect for Above Surface Bonded Contaminants...

You can do this with your clean hand or if you really want to feel the contaminants that have built-up on your car's paint then place your hand inside a clean plastic baggie and then feel the paint. The plastic will intensify your sense of touch and reveal contaminants that you otherwise couldn't not feel.

If you discover above surface bonded contaminants, then the next thing you want to do is clay the paint. Even a new car can have above surface bonded contaminants.

Then find a wax or paint sealant that you like and use it often, by this I mean put your brand new car on a "Regular Maintenance Program".

Post Thanks / Like

Cool stuff man, thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations on your new Rav4. I have a 2009 Rav4 (base/awd) and love it. Definitely check to see if it needs to be clayed, you will be surprised how much contamination is on the paint of a new car. (Think about it, your car was manufactures in Japan, traveled by ship, prepped at a port in the States, transported by truck/train, and then placed on a dealership lot exposed to the elements). I tend to find new Toyota paint on the soft side, so if there is any swirls after claying, try a mild polish first then seal with your favoritr wax/sealant.

Post Thanks / Like

We also just got a 2010 rav 4 in light blue.. I washed clayed and
    put on opti seal.. and wipe it down with ocw ..
    My wife loves the car.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Mike, Next time you have a detailing class and need a car to work on, go to your local Toyota dealer and pick up a black Rav4. Geez, Louise. The dealer wanted to keep it overnight to really make it look nice, since it's black. Saw some swirls at the dealership and knew I had some work to do, brought it home, wiped down w/ONR, put it under the Brinkman; dude, swirls & minor scratches. They finally came out after using Meguiar's 105 w/orange pad on a PC, then polished w/Meg's 105, Menzerna Final Polish, Klasse AIO, and finishing w/ Wolfgang Sealant. Black's a beautiful color but it's going to take some work.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SATracker View Post
    Hey Mike (& others), bought a new black, 2010, Rav4 today. To get this thing off on the right track- what do I do? The obvious thing to me would be to check it w/ my Brinkman light, but assuming it's in good shape, what should be a first step? Leave it for a couple of weeks? Put Wolfgang sealant on it? Put a coat of Pinnacle wax?
    Glad you like your Rav4. I have a 2009 base/4WD that I absolutely love.
    I would clay the paint of course but don't forget about maintenance. You need a good shampoo. Optimum Car Wash Poorboys Super Slick & Suds Chemical Guys Glossworkz are all good if you don't mind ordering off the internet. OTC Meguiars new soap is pretty good. I don't remmber the name of it but it's a very obvious yellow color. You really can't miss it. It's sold at Walmart Meijer Autozone and lots of other auto supply stores.
    I would recommend Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish followed by Blackfire WDAFPP and then either Fuzion or Autoglym HD Wax.
    You'll also need a QD spray. Blackfires Deep Gloss spray is very good. Also Jeff Werkstatts and Meguiars Ultimate Quik Detailer and Turtle Wax Ice Synthetic QD.
    You're gonna need good drying towels too. At least get some good quality microfiber drying towels. Please don't use the towels you use on your body - They will leave swirls in your paint. Walmart has some decent microfiber drying towels I think they are 5 square feet. Also check Autozone and the other auto supply stores.
    You need a good washing cloth or mitt also. Meijer has three different types of mitts and once again check out the auto supply stores to see what they have.
    No matter how tempted you are I would avoid like the plague any automated car wash that uses any type of brushes strips or any thing else (They can leave swirl marks in your paint). If you must use an automated car wash look for the ones that only use jets of water. They aren't perfect but they're a good compromise.
    I don't know much about buffers yet so I can't help you there.