autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How can I avoid Rotary Buffer Swirls/holograms

Will do Mike, and yes practice does make perfect. I learned that part of detailing from you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Let's keep the thread family friendly...

Forum Rules

I have two practice hoods in the garage, you can call them practice hoods or "testing" hoods.

Practice makes perfect and testing is how you find out what works and what doesn't.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm just learning how to do IPA wipe-downs to check my work, though I'm trying to still get the hang of that. Otherwise, the way I know if I'm getting holograms is by working on my own cars and seeing how they look after a few washes. I have been able to polish hologram-free with a finishing pad and M205, except for rounded panels where I probably didn't ease up on the pressure enough. I definitely had the speed all the way down.

On my last polishing on my dark red Altima, I used Menzerna 85RD with blue CCS pads and after a few washings I haven't seen ANY holograms yet. I used the same process on a family member's Charget SRT8 that is metallic black, so I'll get to see the progression there after a few washes.

Post Thanks / Like

Most often holograms are caused by a wool pad. If you still see them after a foam pad you're probably not holding the pad flat.

If you can't get rid of faint holograms with a rotary, just make a pass with a DA until they are gone.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I rarely get holograms on flat panels, but what about concave panels? I haven't been able to avoid some holograms in those areas because inevitably, the edge exerts a little bit more pressure.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dnoraker View Post
    Well, I rarely get holograms on flat panels, but what about concave panels? I haven't been able to avoid some holograms in those areas because inevitably, the edge exerts a little bit more pressure.
    You can try a smaller pad, 3 or 4 inch size.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm just learning how to do IPA wipe-downs to check my work,
    You're just learning about IPA wipe downs, yet you can polish hologram free with a rotary? Hmmmm, not so sure about that.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 07 z-oh-6 View Post
    You're just learning about IPA wipe downs, yet you can polish hologram free with a rotary? Hmmmm, not so sure about that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Let's keep the thread family friendly...

Forum Rules

1. No personal attacks toward members or non-members will be tolerated.

2. No arguing with Moderators or Administrators.

3. You are welcome to disagree but you must be polite.

4. No bashing any company or their products. No bashing other people. If you can't say anything nice about someone, then don't say anything at all, this also includes talking to others in a demeaning manner. REMEMBER this forum is here for those that are new to detailing and those that have been doing this for years. We expect that you treat everyone with respect no matter what their level of detailing is. We all had to start somewhere.
    Enrique - Amateur Detailer Extraordinaire
    "Man is an emotional animal, occasionally rational; and through his feelings he can be deceived to his heart's content." - Durant

Post Thanks / Like

You are just going to have to practice on how much pressure to use and get comfortable with the rotary in order to cure this problem. You need to learn to start using an IPA wipedown after each polishing step to see your true surface. All the real pros do this and if they do not then then they are not truely pros. The real test is the sun but a brickman is your friend when inside after doing an IPA wipedown.

Quote Originally Posted by kronos View Post
    There is nothing wrong with what Mark said about the IPA wipedowns. People need to stop being so sensitive around here. It never was this touchy when the forum first started out. If you are a true adult you should be able to take the bad with the good.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Mejia View Post
    Of course, I test wax durability and new compounds and polishes on it. Why would I test them on my car and remove unnecessary amounts of paint. They're good to have around as you can scratch them up and mess with them with out any real concern.

I didn't see you give any advice, maybe you should, and see if we can't all collaboratively get the OP to the level he wants to be at with some good, constructive advice.
    Your quote: "I love using my rotary, sometimes I'll go out and use it on my practice hood just for fun. Keeps the stress levels down. " End quote. You did not say that you test waxes/compounds/polishes on it, you said you practice using your rotary. If you were skilled with a rotary you wouldn't need to practice on a practice hood. If you need to practice your rotary skills you shouldn't be giving advice because your not qualified to do so. Leave that up to guy's like Mike P and others who are more skilled than you.

Mike Phillips

I'm always learning...

I try to learn from others around me who have been detailing for decades and from guys who have been detailing for a few weeks, you never know when someone will come up with a new technique or share a new product with you that you've never seen before.

Eric is a skilled detailer and I've known him for years now, he's also a very nice and helpful person and at every class I've held that he's attended, and that's quite a few, I could always give him any portion of a detail project and trust that it would be done professionally.

So lets put this thread back on topic. If you want to share real how-to information for the Original Poster, then please feel free to do so but lets stop the all the rest of this bantering back and forth about non-related topics. Take it to Private Messaging or push away from the keyboard.

I'm going to close this thread and I'll open it back up tomorrow.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast