autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Road paint

Post Thanks / Like

Road paint

there is something i have noticed while working in the shop i work in, ((auto shop)) not detailing, they re-paint the lane lines here alot, i was wondering if anyone has seen wheel wells with yellow or white road paint in it, how did you remove it, and what were your steps. mostly im talking about the stuff that is caked on and has been there awhile, and is in the wheel well.
    Working on a new sig..... still working....... if only it was as easy as buffing out swirls is...... Brad is my name.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Road paint

On plastic wheel wells I have used Goo Gone Grafitti Remover. I sprayed it on and let it soak in for about 10 minutes and then hit it with another spray of Goo Gone and let it soak for another 10 minutes or so. Then I wiped the Goo Gone and the road paint away with a cotton terry towel. It required no aggitation, just wiped away.

Now let me tell you the rest of the story. The particular car I did this on was a late 90's Toyota Avalon, below the rocker panel on this car, there was a painted plastic strip of sorts. (not factory baked on paint) The paint on this plastic strip had softened and lifted where a small amount of the Goo Gone had soaked on the edge of it. So be very careful to tape any painted (non baked) parts off before using this method. The baked on paint was seemingly not affected .

Post Thanks / Like

I use a steamer, and also goo gone remover remover, it's a real problems here.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the hints, i havnt come across it in a detail yet, but i didnt want to get one with it all over and then i wouldnt know how to work with it, theres no point in doing a detail if you can remove eye sores, thanks again for the hints.
    Working on a new sig..... still working....... if only it was as easy as buffing out swirls is...... Brad is my name.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kimandbrad21 View Post
    i was wondering if anyone has seen wheel wells with yellow or white road paint in it, how did you remove it, and what were your steps. mostly im talking about the stuff that is caked on and has been there awhile, and is in the wheel well.
    The longer the stuff has been there the tougher it is to get off. A medium grade clay will take it right off when it's fresh.

I tackled some wheel wells and rockers splattered with yellow line paint that'd been there a couple of weeks... used Clay Magic blue and WD-40 for lube. WD-40 removes a lot of sticker and glue residues with just a wipe so I figured I'd try it for this job. Not a fun job but it worked real well. I now keep old, used clay in a baggie with lube for these types of jobs instead of throwing it away when it appears shot.

TL