autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Isopropyl alcohol

I recently saw someone talking about it and i was wondering, are you talking about first aid antiseptic 70% isopropyl alcohol to wipe down your car? then apply wax and/or sealant? can it do damage and is the 70% stuff from walmart good/ okay to use, i have a clear coated 91 toyota corolla that we are going to do a full detail to its our family car given to us and we are trying to maintain it.

whats the app. process and everything if you dont mind....

thank you
    Working on a new sig..... still working....... if only it was as easy as buffing out swirls is...... Brad is my name.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Isopropyl alcohol

Well I use 1:1 water/IPA 91% and have -0- problems. Just try to keep it off your rubber trim and tires, it'll dry them out.

Post Thanks / Like

You use alcohol to get rid of the dried polish/compounds that were left on the car. You can do it after each step or after your done with all of the polish steps your choice.

The Alcohol is just plain Isopropyl alcohol you buy at walmart or where ever. You can use 50, 70 or 95%. Your choice.

It just makes sure that the compound are not filling any swirls and are actually taking them out for good. You shouldn't worry about damaging the car.

What do you mean the app process? What are you trying to do and what tools do you have (D.A?)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kimandbrad21 View Post

whats the app. process and everything if you dont mind....

thank you
    Pretty simple actually. My spray bottles already have a ratio marking on them so I use the 1:1 ratio, but you can figure this out yourself by using a measuring cup. Add x amount of water oz to the same x amount of IPA oz in a spray bottle. Take a clean MF towel and spritz it LIBERALLY with your mix. Then spritz the paint and wipe down. I usually use one MF to wipe on and one to wipe off just because I don't like water spots. I'm sure you could leave it alone and it would still be ok since you'll be adding sealant/wax at the end anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the replys, and the app process was clearly explained thanks to you, i do all my details by hand, and i would never do anything with it on a da, but i didnt know what to use, if terry cloth, MF, etc. i will have to give that a try.
    Working on a new sig..... still working....... if only it was as easy as buffing out swirls is...... Brad is my name.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jayhkr View Post
    Pretty simple actually. My spray bottles already have a ratio marking on them so I use the 1:1 ratio, but you can figure this out yourself by using a measuring cup. Add x amount of water oz to the same x amount of IPA oz in a spray bottle. Take a clean MF towel and spritz it LIBERALLY with your mix. Then spritz the paint and wipe down. I usually use one MF to wipe on and one to wipe off just because I don't like water spots. I'm sure you could leave it alone and it would still be ok since you'll be adding sealant/wax at the end anyway.

Does this process work better than a QD from WG? I've never used the IPA and it sounds like it would be much more economical.

The weather is much better the past few days.........have you started your project yet?

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think a QD does the same thing as IPA so I would stick with IPA if you want to do this type of procedure. I also don't dilute it, but I don't think that it's important if you do or not. I just like how IPA dissolves quicker without water and leaves less streaks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by superd View Post
    Does this process work better than a QD from WG? I've never used the IPA and it sounds like it would be much more economical.

The weather is much better the past few days.........have you started your project yet?

QD and IPA are really 2 differnt products. QD is more of a "weak" wax where IPA is more of a solvent. For polish removal stick with IPA.

Yes, I have finished my project. Complete detail with sealant and wax to boot. I'll post some (a lot) of pictures here in a few minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by maximus20895 View Post
    I don't think a QD does the same thing as IPA so I would stick with IPA if you want to do this type of procedure. I also don't dilute it, but I don't think that it's important if you do or not. I just like how IPA dissolves quicker without water and leaves less streaks.
    I've never tried it full strength. I don't have much in the way of issues with streaks as I wipe it off with a dry MF after a few seconds anyway. But maybe I'll try it full strenght next time, just to see the difference.

Post Thanks / Like

Im not convinced on using IPA on paint. Alcohol is a solvent and can dissolve paint. It works great for removing tree sap, but if you are too liberal or not careful it can leave marks in the paint from rubbing too hard.

As a carpet cleaner which is my other trade, I use IPA for removing small paint spots from carpet. Just food for thought! I would use QD to clean up any compound, but of course that is just my personal opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Isopropyl alcohol

IPA is very weak on the totem poll as far as solvents are concerned. I wouldn't be worried about dissolving your paint. If that was the case it would be scary to get gas on your car. It's perfectly fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast