autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question LSP's that allow spoilers to "flex"???

Mike,

I keep reading about needing to use specific products for areas on vehicles that "flex", such as the rear spoiler on a Porsche, and I am interested in hearing your point of view on specific cleaning and protecting products.

I am assuming that wax in general would not prevent this "flexing", but what about a paint sealant??

Also, what are some of your favorite products for carbon fiber - like that found on a Ferrari, etc. ?? I understand that they are typically clear coated, so I am assuming you would use whatever you used on the paint, but I just want to be certain that is the BEST way to do things, rather than just ONE WAY to do things.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: LSP's that allow spoilers to "flex"???

I know their are Flex additives added to paint in certain areas of cars, but never heard about wax/sealants. Lets here more ...

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek View Post
    I know their are Flex additives added to paint in certain areas of cars, but never heard about wax/sealants. Lets here more ...
    Same Here
    Shawn
    Sully's Detailling LLC - South Florida
    www.autogeek.net

Post Thanks / Like

I can't remember the exact phrasing the writers used, but essentially certain chemicals damaged the "flex" agent over time...

I highly doubt this would be an immediate problem, but I am curious about the long-term effects of certain chemicals, waxes, and sealants on specific parts or treatments on expensive vehicles.

One instance of this would be that Corvette warns people about applying a light colored wax to the carbon fiber on one of their newer models, due to a lighter wax being "rubbed in" to the fiber, resulting in tiny white dots all over the roof...

Post Thanks / Like

I know the Vette thing sounds rediculous, but it was Chevy that actually wrote that, so I am assuming it is valid in some sense....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MobolWerks View Post
    One instance of this would be that Corvette warns people about applying a light colored wax to the carbon fiber on one of their newer models, due to a lighter wax being "rubbed in" to the fiber, resulting in tiny white dots all over the roof...
    IDK about flex agents etc, but the above sounds similar to wax getting into solvent popping. I would think that the resin used for carbon fiber would be strong enough to resist a wax penetrating the surface.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think any wax or sealant would have a negative effect on the flexibility of paint or the flex additives...Harsh solvents maybe. The carbon fiber pieces on the Vette is a different matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Post Thanks / Like

I, too, have heard about the Corvette's carbon fiber roof. It is in the owner's manual.

Colin

Post Thanks / Like

The carbon fiber in corvettes are different form your other vacuum bagged/molded carbon fiber parts. On the corvette's they spray on top of bare carbon fiber weave. That is why there are little dimples in the panels as the clear sinks into the weave's crevaces. Chevy opposes using wax on the panels because most OTC waxes leave a white residue that gets trapped in the little dimples. They are covering their a** by saying this.

You shouldnt believe everything you hear about wax or sealent being detrimental to panels that have flex additives to them. Did you know all bumpers and plastic painted trim pieces use flex additives in them also? If they didnt the paint would crack as soon as they flexed, and they flex a lot more and a spoiler ever would. I have yet to see one bumper's paint fail because someone put a layer of wax on it.
    Last edited by Lasthope05; 05-04-2010 at 09:56 PM.
    Alan T.

Post Thanks / Like

Resins, the chemical gel/liquid, used in constructing fiberglass and carbon fiber appear to be porous. My bumper was prepped properly but had to be repainted twice because the fiberglass was absorbing some of the paint that created a solvent-pop-look. Prior to spraying the paint, the surface seemed leveled, so i would assume the pores are microscopic. Just sharing my experience.

Stop whining and crying like a baby! Life sucks...deal with it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast