autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

2010 Dodge Challenger R/T

Hi Mike,

I have been entertaining the idea of replacing my '03 Subaru WRX (basically my weekend toy) with something else for the past year or so. More recently I have settled on a 2010 Dodge Challenger R/T. The color I will likely go with is their Brilliant Black. The car will also likely have the hood to fender R/T stripes. Do you have any detailing related experiences with these cars? If so....

1) How would you describe the paint quality overall?

2) I know its all relative but would you use the words "hard" or "soft" to describe the paint? My '03 Subaru is Midnight Black Pearl and quite soft IMO. ….so much so that if Dodge black/paint is similar, it might change my mind regarding color choice. How would you compare the two?

3) What about the decals? The hood to fender stripes are a little easier to deal with than ones that are the full length of the car but what tips do you have when polishing and as far as LSP choice? I have quite a few LSP's already in my cabinets but would be willing to use something else if it is more effective & safer. ....some of my current LSP's on hand are Opti-Seal, Collinite 845, FK1000P, Zaino Z-5/Z-2/Z-AIO, P21 Carnauba, Klasse AIO... to name a few).

Any other tips, tricks, opinions or advice based on your experiences with this car would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Kean

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2010 Dodge Challenger R/T

The new Challenger's are beautiful. Good idea.

Post Thanks / Like

A friend of mine just purchased the SRT8 in the Detonator Yellow. The car is absolutely beautiful. I understood him telling me the stripes are a carbon fiber material. I am interested in hearing the low down on detailing these stripes. He said the dealer said not to wax them. I wonder if the dealer is in the know on this material. The SRT8 sports the 6.1 Hemi versus the 5.7 liter. He gave 43g for it brand new. I saw the sticker of 46.7g. Love it! The paint on this one is very nice looking. He just got it 2 weeks ago and has not done anything to it. He said the dealer has a line of products that are suggested by Dodge for this car. Don't know anything about the products yet. Will get back to the forum when I hear more about them.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The SRT is nice but just not worth the extra few thousand to me. The R/T still provides decent performance and a nice package at a relatively reasonable price by comparison. I’ll be in the $38k-$39k ballpark if I get one with all of the options I am interested in and perhaps less with some haggling. Add tax and license and I’m already at or above $40k. With all of the little quality issues and the “so-so” interior, I’m already having a hard time justifying the cost for one of these babies as it is. Here in CA there is a gas guzzler tax of around $1700 for the SRT to boot. It’s definitely a beast though. ….the stripes are faux carbon fiber btw but still look kinda cool. I appreciate the input belcherm and I hope your buddy has fun with his new toy.

Quote Originally Posted by AdrenalineJunky View Post
    The new Challenger's are beautiful. Good idea.
    ….definitely has been my all-time favorite since I was a kid. 24 years ago I acquired a ’69 Charger (SE) which I would probably say is a close second. They really captured the spirit and look of the Challenger with this new release. On paper the alternatives are more attractive but when something looks that good, how can you say no? :lol:

I know a couple of late model Charger owners with vinyl similar to that on the Challenger R/T over on Autopia that I will probably hit up. I’m mainly trying to get an idea of how hard/soft this paint is in comparison to my ’03 Subaru. ….that was the kind of paint that kind of made you regret getting black (quite soft).

Thanks for the input guys.

Post Thanks / Like

I've worked on one of the new black Challengers and the paint was rock hard. Hardest I've worked on. With paint that hard, I wouldn't dare buy one in black. I'd find the most forgiving color and go that route. Black is a full time job as it is. Add in paint that is super hard, and it is even worse.

This was my experience and my opinion.

Colin

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

...I'm no stranger to black cars as this is my 3rd in a row over the last 25 years of vehicle ownership (no regrets). I think I would prefer the paint to be on the "hard" side rather than so soft that it is easily prone to marring (as with my Midnight Black Pearl WRX). It's funny... I received a response from a detailer on one of the other detailing forums who considered the paint on the "softer side of medium" and corrected quite easily. ....it's all relative I guess. I appreciate the input.

Post Thanks / Like

well, i own a lexus with, in my experience, super soft paint. i am detailing my friends black challenger so i can play with some new toys - i will report back on what i think.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

....well, thanks but I already bought the car 3 months ago.

Post Thanks / Like

ha, oops - i was looking for information regarding the subject to know what chemicals to take. oh well, i hope you like the car - it's a pretty slick ride

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

...no worries. I didn't expect to get many answers on this forum anyhow.

Yeah, the car is a blast and suits my needs just fine. The Brilliant Black finish is what I might consider medium or a tad softer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast